My nano crashed :(

PENEJANE

So now I am using this chance for an upgrade.

Going from 27ltrs to 60 ltrs. Hopefully this will work better than the first one which was still neat to have but this one allows me to have fish :D

tankupgrade.jpg

Thanks to njd who is helping me through out this process and has helped me out soo much already I am hoping to have it up and running shortly.

The tank is 2.5ft long 1ft x 1ft. I have added a piece of glass in one corner to allow for the over flow.

I will take more pictures as things progress. Not to sure about lighting as of yet as to go with fluros or the budget saver bulbs which I am currently using.

Cheers

PeneJane

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is about 67 ltrs but I measured up to 1/2 a cm above the over flow. So it works out to be 58 ltrs but I rounded up to 60 to be safe :D

The over flow is more for the surface of the water. To allow it to draw away so I don't get any scum on top. Will also allow me to do a sump later if I need to.

I was thinking of a halide but I don't know if I can afford the power for that yet hehe and I don't think I have enough knowledge yet to look after the corals that require this light.

One question on lighting though. With the budget energy saver bulbs that are the only ones that do 6400K how can I make one blue to work as the blue light? I have heard that it can be painted blue or put a blue covering over it. How would that work?

Cheers.

One question on lighting though. With the budget energy saver bulbs that are the only ones that do 6400K how can I make one blue to work as the blue light? I have heard that it can be painted blue or put a blue covering over it. How would that work?

Cheers.

I know you can get a standard type bulb you use in the house & paint it, seen it done in student flats. Just how efficient it would be over a fish tank i don't know.

Hmmm well any other ideas then apart from LED's or Fluro? How about clipping a piece of blue perspex under one of the lights?

I have also been looking on trademe and was wondering if these would be any good.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 237757.htm

How would it go if I was to buy a light from Dr Foster & Smith? Is it worth it for the 50/50 bulb?

Cheers

Personally, i wouldnt try skimp on lighting now aye. I would either go metal halide (shaneo has a 150W DE bulb, 14000K that he needs rid of :wink: only $30 ) Or use t8 tubes. You can get 6500K 2ft t8 tubes pretty easy and can get blue tubes aswell from somewhere.... If it was me, I would use 2 6500K tubes and 2 blue tubes over that tank.

Agree with that. Also, must say that there is a tendency for people moving to salt from freshwater ( I know cos I was one ), to attempt it on an impossibly small budget, leading to eventual failure.

I'm wondering if we should really tell anyone who cannot spend 2 grand to even attempt a marine. I'm not being unkind either I've been there, when I started my first reef I told my wife it would cost 300 bucks. That's what i thought at the time. Ended up costing even more than it should have due to first up buying a lot of el cheapo equipment that had to be replaced.

OK I can get (cheap) two dbl T8 holders which I just have to add wire and plug to and bulbs. I thought that 2 white and 2 blue wouldn't be enough and was going for the 3 white and 1 blue. But if 2 of each is enough then I can use them on different timers or something. For the K rating. What number should I be aiming at for the blue tubes? I have read 10000k 14000k and 17000k. With running 2 blues what one would I need more?

Cheers again. I think I will go with T8.

I'm wondering if we should really tell anyone who cannot spend 2 grand to even attempt a marine. I'm not being unkind either I've been there, when I started my first reef I told my wife it would cost 300 bucks. That's what i thought at the time. Ended up costing even more than it should have due to first up buying a lot of el cheapo equipment that had to be replaced.

I would add even if you can’t spend $3-$4k than marines should not be attempted as at the end of the day the livestock suffers.

That lighting will be OK Penejane, for about a couple of years I ran a 60 litre tank with 4 t8's, 2 white & 2 actinic. Kept many types of corals happily, no sps though.

Some people will not believe this but also had a heteractus malu anemone in it, who started off real small but after about a year I was forced to sell him cos he had grown & filled most of the tank.

OK I can get (cheap) two dbl T8 holders which I just have to add wire and plug to and bulbs. I thought that 2 white and 2 blue wouldn't be enough and was going for the 3 white and 1 blue. But if 2 of each is enough then I can use them on different timers or something. For the K rating. What number should I be aiming at for the blue tubes? I have read 10000k 14000k and 17000k. With running 2 blues what one would I need more?

Cheers again. I think I will go with T8.

How many watts is a 2 foot fluro? must be 18-20W times 4, your just about at the same power comsumption as a 150w Mh, but with 4 times fittings to buy and bulbs to replace. And remember a normal house bulb is 75-100w so your Mh would be no worse than leaving a couple of lights on for 8 hours a day.

Well we don't go out to dinner and very rearly get kfc of fish and chips. What sort of bulbs are they? I might be able to get one local. Does that mean I still need to run the blue light also? I am wanting to do this one better than my nano which is why I am wanting to do it right.

Anyone have a cheap MH for sale. No point me spending $30 on a bulb that is useless with out the unit and the recycling centre down here doesn't deal in lights of any sort. Went to a demo yard and they are wanting to charge me the earth, $150 for just the hanging unit.

Also would sunlight (via a window) affect the tank badly? I would of thought that it would make the corals happy to get true sunlight in some degree.

Cheers again.

Land Lubber

The power compacts that I was going to go with are the same as the energy saver bulbs that I was going to go with (well so I have been told). With the twin fluro holders I could probably make up a very nice hood with it and it would be pretty simple to :D (always better) instead of having to wire up a heap of PC bulbs.

I will take a picture of it later today with the sunlight on it (no water or anything in it yet) and you can see how its going to sit and how much sunlight its going to get.

My last quote for the twin tube holder it was going to cost me $20 each + bulbs, wire and plugs. So its not to bad :D

Cheers again.

That fitting frome DSE is a Tungsten Halogen fitting, it is not the full spectrum and will not give you the correct light.

You cannot retrofit another lamp into this as it has no ballast (control gear to start and power the lamp, which needs to be specific for the type of lamp used). By the time you buy a ballast and the correct lamp, you will probably have spent more than a complete unit to start with.

This would be more suitable:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 900405.htm

Sorry just back to the first part of the thread. Your nano crashed... What happened? did all the corals die? Have any fish in there? mollys or something? Still got the rock going etc??!?!?!

Good luck with the new tank. I have my rock from my crashed tank in the garage in a holding tank ATM and im going to cook them for about 6 months or so and slowly add more and more and more rock to it and VERY slowly gain equipment and eventually start a 4 foot tank or so. No skimping this time!!