Starlight Bristlenose - A. Punctatus L182 Spawn

Faran

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update - free swimming day 30

Wow, 30 days is here already. Okay, so the fry are growing well but have definitely slowed down. Pattern has turned from mottled greys, browns and blacks into a solid black with large white spots. They are displaying normal ancistrus behaviour and cute as a button. Will I be selling any? Well, I ended up with far more than the 10 I wanted for myself so YES, they'll be available in a month or two. I expect them to sell for $50 each at 3-4cm.

Sadly enough neither the original parents nor the additional pair I have acquired look even remotely interested in breeding again. Time will tell, I may have another batch 5 months from now!

And an updated pic of one of the fry today -

feb6starlightweb.jpg

• 1 month later...

So it's been over a month since the last update. Well, the fry are doing well and growing. Mom and dad have been joined by another pair of Starlights in the tank they spawned in, no action as of yet. Ah well, these guys are keeping me entertained for now :D

March07breedingpicsstarlightsbetter.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update - 3 months from free swimming

StarlightApril8web.jpg

Starlight Youngsters are now 3 months, many well over 3cm and getting bulky. Quite a few have replaced GBAs in discus breeding tanks as cleaning crew and for faster growing with less competition for food.

Unsure how many I will keep, but they are available for purchase if you're an experienced catfish owner. PM for info.

Obviously, this means you won't be buying them if you ask what makes them different from the common BN you bought at the LFS ;)

Thanks guys, I'll do a proper count and respond to emails and PMs tomorrow.

Brian, thanks mate, but these guys keep plenty of bold colouration later on. Here's a pic of dad (again) -

starlightmaleweb.jpg

Sorry should have explained more clearlyt, I was refering to the size of the spots, I like how the yound ones have larger spots

Yeah, the big spots are cute but I really like the change the (adult) starlights make in appearance when they're in the shade and a light shines on them. Quite startling to see the star pattern come out. I have a Gold Cloud, Gold Nugget and a Snowball, so fine spots are a nice change.