So..... driftwood

Brianemone

I've got a few peices of driftwoody stuff lying around that the previous owner left behind when they moved out (along with a multitude of other rubbish)

I assume not all woods are created equally so I just wanted to see if there is any way of telling what type of wood it is and wether it will be suitible to put in my soon to be setup planted tank.

best thing to do is soak it, see if it leeches any tannins and most importantly if you can sink it.

Usually it is the darker wood that is best suited, but in saying that we have a few lighter coloured ones here that sink and look amazing.

It's really complicated and drawn out process to tell if the wood is suitable to put in a tank.

Step 1: Look at driftwood.

Step 2: Identify if driftwood is driftwood or not.

Step 3: If driftwood is wood, identify if it's clean or not.

Step 4: If dirty, clean it.

Step 5: Put in tank.

It's really complicated and drawn out process to tell if the wood is suitable to put in a tank.

Yip, cheers for that Ira, I was a bit worried i might miss an important step.

The wood has been sitting out sit for some time and so it is pretty silver, I need to get an old barrel to see what it does in water.

While i cant say im all that keen on having the tannins leached into the water (as i want some nice crystal clear water) Im more concerned that the wood might be a softer type of wood that might break down in the tank and make a bit of a mess, obviously its easy enough to take it out but if its rotting on the inside it might not be the first thing i think of.

Here is the first peice, its thinner and seems to be a harder wood.

P1010439.jpg

A close up of the same wood

P1010446.jpg

This is another peice, a bit chunkier, and seems to be a little less dense

P1010447.jpg

closer

P1010452.jpg

and closer again

P1010451.jpg

I havent decided on the final design of the tank so i still dont know which peice i prefer in terms of the look i want but if one is more suitible then i will err on the side ofcaution and use that peice, currently #1 looks to be the peice more suited to tank life

Wet it then poke at it with something sharp. If its too soft, don't use it. I put a small piece of wood in my tank that was rotting and it made a dreadful mess of the tank.

Its great looking wood though, so I hope its ok.

Cheers

Jude

If the wood isn't sinking, just pile more rocks on top of it.;)

Those look fine, just give them a good wash to get some of the spider webs off it(Spider webs will turn your fish into axe murderers) and throw it in the tank with some rocks piled on top.:)

Does it really have to be "driftwood" in the meaning of wood that has drifted around the sea or stream. I used a piece of swamp kauri, it has been in my community tank for a year & no probs

Smidey

Wet it then poke at it with something sharp. If its too soft, don't use it. I put a small piece of wood in my tank that was rotting and it made a dreadful mess of the tank.

Its great looking wood though, so I hope its ok.

Cheers

Jude

Yip, I remember you talking about that about a year ago. At the same time that was happening to you i was helping someone with a tank that had a strange algae problem and only after completly stripping the tank did i find the wood they put in was decaying.

I thought I should get the wood into some water to start the sinking process so the peices are now in the paddling pool out the back with bricks on them.