MICRO-CHIPPING TURTLES, anyone know any info on this???

Insect Direct

Ive read some where (possibly in tj thorntons turtle book) that you can have turtles microchipped which although generally i disagree with the whole chipping nonsence it would give me peace of mind not having to worry about some one flogging any of my turtles, as unfortunately there are ppl willing to lower them selves & I cant be guarding them with the baseball bat 24/7 :lol:

I know theyre not incredibly valuable but I love my pets as individuals and although most could be replaced its more there individuality/personalities that cant be so Im seriously considering going to the vet and chipping them, but first thought I'd ask here if anyone has or herd of this beeing done??

ANY info would be greatly appreciated :bow::bow:

i don't knw about pets but micro-chipping is used in reptiles in research institutes etc- for example- all the reptiles at the zoo are micro-chipped so they each have their own serial number so it is easier to keep track of health concerns, transfers etc.

Hi Mincie :D

When we had our tortoise we were looking into getting him micro chipped, it can definately be done, we have one vet here that I am pretty sure micro chips reptiles :) I think if it's a pet that really is irreplaceable ( of which I think every pet is, as you said they have their own personalities and quirks) :lol: and there is the fear of it being stolen, then its definately worth doing.. however, if ever stolen.. then it's the case of tracking the animal down to prove it's yours in the first place huh :roll:

Swt thanks for the info, I'll go into the vets this week and see what they think.

If its microchipped then stolen surely they can track its location like they can with dogs, and that would be sweet turning up at someones place and catching them red handed, anyway the vets here are very helpfull so ill see them this week once they open again.

cheers and hope you all have a great new year/s :bow:

Hi Mincie :D

Best of luck, hope you get it all sussed out :D I am pretty unsure how micro chipping works.. wouldn't it need a radar type system to track a micro chipped animal down? Excuse my ignorance with the micro chipping thing but I thought they were identified by scanning... :oops: :lol:

Yes they have to be found to be scanned.

Now if they can be found, a much simpler and of course cheaper option is a photo to identify them.

Turn the turtle over, and you have the equivalent to a finger print in the design on its shell.

This only increases size with age, so if you were to take a pic annually and store it on a disc, you'll have a permanent ID system of your own.

All of mine are ID'd like this.

Alan 104

Bummer, I thought micro chipping (with dogs anyway) meant you could also track them to their exact location.

Ill take some photos though as thats a pretty good way to identify them if ones lucky enough to track them down, I suppose the other thing is to up security which can be done but is rather expensive like most things!

Thanks all for your comments/info etc. :bow:

Have a look at the end of your dogs nose, his snout.

See the pattern there??

That is a nose print associated to that dog, and that dog alone.

It can be used as a fingerprint ID as well.

Can be removed with a knife tho.

But most theives wouldn't think of that.

Thank goodness.

Alan 104