needle valve?

Angus

Having persisted with a diy CO2 setup for two years, i've finally splurged out and bought a two stage regulator and hired a 6.5kg cylinder from BOC.

My problem is i haven't been able to locate an in-line needle valve. I've tried the model supply stores around Auckland and most have looked at me with a blank stare. BOC had no idea either..... :roll:

Anybody had success finding one of these?

Aw yeah, and what about an adaptor for the outlet side of the reg to fit standard diameter hosing (4mm i.d.)?

I used carburetor jet valves for mine (idle jet).

Went to the auto wreckers and searched through their part carbs (the ones that are damaged) to find a suitable needle. I made the body out of brass. The hardest part was finding a tap that matched the very fine thread on the carb needle. Blackwoods Paykels got one for me and I did the rest using a drill press and a piece of hex brass rod. The inlet and outlet tubes were short pieces of 4mm copper tube I had lying around and were soldered to the brass body. The only tricky part was getting the O-ring to sit into a grove to seal the thread to the body.

It took about 30 minutes to make but over 3 hours to find the parts. Look at what your time is worth to you or how much you really fancy making your own one. May be better off buying one from Hollywoods...

i inquired at hollywoods (not expecting to find one) and got told that they aren't stocking needle valves yet (though they intend to in the future). No mention of systems as i only inquired about needle valves on their own.

warren - i'm not the sort of person inclined to make my own, with pressurised co2 running through it the dangers of that sort of approach out weigh the positives - but thanks for the advice!! :hail:

fishboi - which model? 3A or 3B?

jim r - no worries - a question asked is a problem halved. when i find one i'll post it for you.

quack - i'll check out picales (sp?) tomorrow morning - hope they're open :o

thanks to all!!! :D

I got one of these from Connect 2 Control -

http://www.clippard.com/store/display_d ... sku=MNV-2K

Including fittings about $30. I also got a separate solenoid valve from these guys -

http://www.burkert.co.nz/index.html - $75.

However, I found my 1st full 100l Soda Stream bottle only lasted about a week at 2 bubbles per second. Hopefully it was a dud bottle - so am trying another. Anyone know how long it would last at 1 bubble per second for 10 hours per day?

I have a professional aquatic CO2 needle valve made by JBJ available for purchase. It has a male thread on one end and a fasten lock hose connector on the other end for easy secure connection for pressurized systems. I believe the hose size is 4mm.

You'll probably need to get something with a female to female adapter to attach the threads together from the reg to the needle valve, but you should be able to sort that easy enough.

I was going to keep this as a spare, but domeone probably needs it more than I. Price is $40 couriered to any non-RD address and the item is brand new. Here's the photo.

needlevalve.jpg