MMF

Billaney

Yes it can happen.

Usually there are two factors that prevent it.

Firstly the dominant male will do his best for it not to happen. In smaller tanks it is easier for the male to control this. &

In some cases the sub dominant males are not attractive enough for the female to be interested in them anyway.

The lucky girl, :roll: having 2 blokes fulfilling her needs :lol:

Frenchy :D

Yes it can happen.

Usually there are two factors that prevent it.

Firstly the dominant male will do his best for it not to happen. In smaller tanks it is easier for the male to control this. &

In some cases the sub dominant males are not attractive enough for the female to be interested in them anyway.

The lucky girl, :roll: having 2 blokes fulfilling her needs :lol:

These were the two males both very attractive and the two dominant fish in the tank, it was mostly with the front one the male Kadango but every now and then the peacock would muscle in and drop his milt then swimm off chased by the Kadango , maybe because i don't have a female peacock, awesome to watch :) as i've never seen mouth brooders spawn before even tho i have had them bred for me before.

It was the male Kadango that cleared the substrate to form the nice flat spawning site and do the swimming in a tight circle with the female so i'm pretty sure the two Kadangos did 99% of the action

normal_DSC_1000.JPG

If the red shoulder did in fact release milt then some of the babies will be fertilised by him and they will be hybrids.. If it was me I would strip the whole lot into the tank and remove the male peacock for future spawnings.. That is what I would do im sure others have different opinions..

All the red kadango's ive had have been well behaved, they all disagreed with the red shoulder peacock males though due to their colours being similair.. But in my case the red shoulder dominanted the kadango they still got along but only one fish was allowed to breed out of those 2 and it was red shoulder..

Depends on how they get along. Sometimes cichlids will go well. Other times one particular type of cichlid may pick on another, even if the colours & species are different.

Kadango's are generally fine, when young. A good sized peacock can dominate a Kadango of similar size or smaller. Once Kadango's realise that they are bigger than others & they want to breed, they will. They tend to only mainly clash with similar types, as in ryans case, peacocks. If you mbunas except the kadango's all should be fine.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_borleyi.php

There is a little video at the end of the page...& also the last paragraph gives an answer too...

Due to the large size of this fish, it is best kept in tanks no smaller than 75 gallons. It is also a good idea to keep it with other similarly mild Cichlids, such as those from the genus. Aulonocara and many of the peaceful Haps. Avoid mixing Copadichromis species, as they may hybridize, limiting their biodiversity. For example, I found my Copadichromis azureus dancing to one of my borleyi females, but fortunately no interest was returned.

my kadango and peacock are about the same size are what seems like "best mates" they hang out together and i don't think i've ever seen them snap at each other with any real anger, maybe I'm just lucky but i have seen them both snap at the male kenyi :)