<< Long finned Blue Ram Spawn >>

penguinleo

This is like a continued new topic of my last blue ram spawn. On my last spawn, I got my rams to spawn but I didn't see any eggs. A bit disappointing... :cry:

However, I was wondering around my LFS and I discovered another pairing pair of Blue Rams. But they were different as the male had long fins. I heard that this sometimes happens when gold ram and a blue ram breeds. The male almost looks like a veiltail Ram. Very rare according to a site on the internet. Pretty interesting, huh? :D

Anyway, I bought them home, moved my previous rams to another tank and placed the long finned rams in there. And now, I got them spawning and for a late Christmas present I got eggs from my long finned rams! :D Thank you to them! And the good news is the eggs look yellow. So now I am just waiting for some future fry with a long fin gene. The male and female are guarding the eggs. They are like chickens hovering above the nest they built. (They built this nest for around a day I think)

Just want to say thank you to Alan and Antwan for continually giving me tips and advice with the previous spawning. It really helped.

And finally, here are some photos. Not the best quality but pretty good for a cheap video camera plus zoom! I'll keep everyone updated. Oh, and I couldn't get any decent pictures with the male ram's long fins. He is always near the eggs and therefore hard to get a pic. Enjoy!

fish007.jpg

I see what you mean by the ovipositor Alan and Antwan.

fish016-1.jpg

fish012-2.jpg

The head of the male can be seen...with the eggs

fish014.jpg

fish023.jpg

The female Ram doesn't seem to have long fins. :-?

Thanks for reading!

golds are a colour mutation of the blues and seem to have been bred to enhance the fin lengths. your fish may be a cross or it may just be a nicer finned blue. my golds had gorgeous fins but they didnt last very long (we get bottom pick when it comes to being sent fish from other countries and because they are inbred so much they have become quite weak fish sadly).

it will be very interesting to see how any survivors turn out :bounce:

Yes, that is true. Many of the rams we have in NZ are much weaker like Sharn said. But still, if you choose out the strongest ones at your LFS I found they are very healthy. Some bad news is that the rams ate all their eggs... :-? But it is their first spawn so maybe next time they will get it right. :D I will try get a photo of the male now as he is showing off to the female often now. He kind of looks like the photo but he doesn't have shredded fins. :lol: