Freshwater shrimp

meesheelly

Yeah I think you can find them in the stream by the biscuit factory in Lower Hutt (just by the road to Wainui) but I went to try and find some and couldn't... (I'm usually good at finding stuff like that!)

Apparently you breed them by putting them in brackish water and you can even just do it in a bucket to make them drop their eggs - I'm sure there was a thread on it a while back...

So just how big are they? How many did you get?!

I don't think they are illegal - not the native ones... in NZ when it comes to most things fishy you are allowed native ones but not small trout!

If you have any luck breeding them let me know cause I was thinking about trying to get a colony going for my puffer to eat!

If you have any luck breeding them let me know cause I was thinking about trying to get a colony going for my puffer to eat!

yes le me know aswell. So far it looks like my puffer isn't interested in any food- live or dead. I think he has eaten 3 wcmm's since i have had him (since sunday) :(

I got some of those ages ago, and never got around to breeding them -- apparently for them to have any decent amount of nutritional value (for puffers) you have to gut load them first. So I figure I'll do it when I have more time, then I can gutload them and pass them on in cycles.. Over Xmas I'm doing all my fishy stuff, so hopefully I'll get mine to drop some eggs.. :bounce:

I think they eat algae as they always appear to be cleaning things in the tank ive got them in, they also eat infusoria, flake yeast etc although i havent been feeding mine much at all lately and they seem all good.

The ones on trademe will no doubt be from a rockpool or stream somewhere, alot of people sell them saying they have bred them but im yet to come across anyone who has proved this yet, Ive also seen people say that the ones theyre selling arnt the native one's but as far as I knpw theres only the 1 type of fresh/brakish shrimp in nz (correct me if im wrong)!

Ive tried breeding them and had no luck and I put it down to its very hard to imitate there natural breeding ground which is I think when they go from freshwater to the sea.

In saying that though & given everything else we breed surely these cant be all that hard & there must be a way and someone must of had some luck and if you check out this website it sounds so simple

http://www.geocities.com/demitri1977/shrimp/

and this site has a bit of general info

http://www.nzfreshwater.org/shrimp.html

If anyone has had any luck breeding these please let me know :bow:

The ones on trademe will no doubt be from a rockpool or stream somewhere, alot of people sell them saying they have bred them but im yet to come across anyone who has proved this yet, Ive also seen people say that the ones theyre selling arnt the native one's but as far as I knpw theres only the 1 type of fresh/brakish shrimp in nz (correct me if im wrong)!

Ive tried breeding them and had no luck and I put it down to its very hard to imitate there natural breeding ground which is I think when they go from freshwater to the sea.

i totally agree there, been a sucker i've bought them twice off trademe. both times they're the type from streams which the seller claim they're not. tried very hard to breed them both time but no joy. in fact none of them last over 6 month

good jumpers too so make sure u have good cover. and if they're all the same size then they would be all the same sex as they change their sex half way though their life. large female small male?

Mine "trademe" schrimps eat spirulina tablets (pleco chips). It takes them about 3 days to finish one tablet.

Info about breeding at

http://www.geocities.com/demitri1977/shrimp/

suspiciously reminds of Daphnia.

Would be interesting to hear someone to confirm that it does happen this way.

Speaking of Daphnia, they are happily multiplying in my schrimp tank, quite uninvited. Unlike schrimps themselves, who, I suspect, are still all male.

As far as I know theres only 1 sort/native shrimp in nz, other than the fancy 1's that are in pet shops from time to time.

I bought some off tradme a few months back and theyre exactly the same as you will find in rockpools around nz!

As for the breeding side of things if its as easy as suggested in the website above ("which also states 1500 eggs per week") im sure many of us fish keepers would be using them as live food as they would be prime!

So please if anyone has had any luck breeding these I would love to hear from you :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Aren't the rockppol ones different?!

I'm not sure does anyone know?!

As far as I know theres only 1 sort/native shrimp in nz, other than the fancy 1's that are in pet shops from time to time.

I bought some off tradme a few months back and theyre exactly the same as you will find in rock pools around nz!

when u say rock pools i think of rock pools by the beach which is saltwater and those ones are different. saltwater ones have red joints in their legs fresh dont.