silver dollars

davidb

These fish can grow 15cm and need a tank at least 1.2m and at least 45cm high with lots of swimming space. They will demolish live plants with gusto.

Any larger community fish would be suitable but 4 - 5 of them would be enough on their own.

I have no experience with the other fish mentioned so can't say if they would be suitable.

i had 5 large silver dollors in my comunity tank. they didnt bother any other fish at all, very peacefull.

i found that they were always on edge tho and would peak out at anything bolting from one end of the tank to the other as fast as they could go. if another fish got in there way they would of been history.

apart from that they are very nice fish and get quite big! i never kept plants with them either.

180L might be pretty small for 4-5 fully grown silver dollars. They only take about a year to get to 10-12 cm long and keep growing from there. They also treat live plants like a salad bar so don't plan on having any. They are very cool fish though, and I'm pretty attached to my shoal of 6 that follow the oscars around looking for scraps :)

C.

I have one large peaceful silver dollar - he is very cool and all my guests reckon he looks like a piranha. There is a large silver dollar on trade me up here - if you do a trade me search on silver dollar you can find it or pm me for the trader name if you like - not on me at the mo. They are great traders - I have dealt with them several times.

yeah the only problem with it is that it is pick up only

Hey If you want him, I could bring him down on Sunday afternoon perhaps? What part of Auckland are you in? I guess it depends if your tank is ready yet. I would love to check out their tanks, and they are on my way south.

Just an idea...

silver dollars are fine with nearly anything that is peaceful. aslong as its not discus that can have heart attacks when the move.

I had mine with plecos, bristlenoses, khuli loaches, clown loaches, black ghost knife, choc ghost knife, angels, kissing gouramis, red tail shark, barbs ( even though they would nip them every now and then), nad even a clown knife.

So i hope this helps.

Also only keep one type of each shark as the will bully them and or each other to death.