My Melanochromis is Holding

Sayhi2steve

• 9 months later...

I normly shake the female after a 1 & a half week (Very controversial method) as she goes very weak without eating, but had lots of practice (Mix results) with Egyptian mouth brooders (cheaper to loose). Maybe the best to do is to seperate her, let her hold the eggs for a week so that she can get "attached" to them. If she gets stressed by a net for example, she wil spit the eggs (Still can be hatched). Make sure the male is not bothering her, she will sit in a corner(top) if this happens. When catching her make sure that everything will happen quieckly to avoid stress!! Once in the "maturnity" tank provide lots off hidding, one day you will come and see her with all her babies, One of the most rewarding experiences is watching the fry rush and line up everytime there is danger so that the mother picks them up again!!

If you intend breeding (even for hobby) , a Maturnity tank is great, you can subdivide it and keep a few females when young are swiming, throw females back and use it as a rearing tank, this is how I went from 1 tank (Present) to 30 takes within 2 years and over 20 species of malawi, Swoped inch fish for tanks and fish food (before I made my own). My aim now is to keep a balanced tank (without maturnity tanks) Just provide enough hide-out for the survival of the fittist who will grow in the tank.

Having said all this its, its trial and error! I've had Frontosa females holding on to fry after only days of brooding, each female is different!

Oops! think I need to keep my answers specific next time!

Have fun!

:wink:

When your garage becomes a fish room, its a Profession, not a hobby anymore :D

I agree! seperation is the best way. I have also found that once they have come out of the mums mouth it is best to leave her in there for a couple of weeks then pull her out.

This helps them get their confidence up and she shows them what to do so they learn everything quicker.

If you leave her in there much longer I find she starts to eat them! odd really :-?