Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

help needed with fluro

Featured Replies

hi all

due to an exess of guppies I'm setting up a small tank I've had for a while , Theres a problem with the light though-it's fine when it's first switched on but after a few seconds it dims to less than half (buy my estimation) of its full brightness -its not an expensive tank

http://www.aa-aquarium.com/showroom4.ph ... line_id=24

and I'd used it for a little over a year before this started , there isnt a balast-but a small circuit built in to the light assembly.

Any body have any ideas what the problem could be -had a sparky at work have a look but he couldn't find any thing wrong(at this point I'd fitted the wrong tube and it didn't work at all)

theres a brand new tube fitted

If noone has any ideas I'll be using an old Fluval 1 filter and geting a jebo clip on light

cheers sid

Quite possibly its a rapid start ballast and you are using an instant start tube. It may be supposed to have a t12 tube in it, those are still commonly used in the Us an parts of asia since you cant instant start longish tubes off 110 volts.

Does it have a starter in the fitting?

  • Author

I'm using the manufacturers recomended tube and there isnt a balast as such -just a circuit which Im guessing does the job instead.

I've just noticed that one of the components in the circuit (on a wire to the swich)is getting very hot -and becomes untouchable (it is 12v) at the same point as the light dims -

not even sure what it is(not a resister any way!) but I'll cut it off and see if they have anything similar at dick smiths tomorrow or saterday-hopfully that may work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.