Camera Choice

TM

I am trying to decide on what camera to buy. I have looked at heaps and come up with my top 4.

Cannon Powershot S3IS

Olympus SP510 uz

Sony Cybershot DSC-H2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7

Would be great to have some feed back or other camera options. My top pick at the moment is the cannon.

Thanks, i have heard the Panasonics are not bad, bit grainey in macro and low light i hear.

JDM what is you cannon like for macro? the olympus has a super macro function, 3cm i think.

Does anyone no what has replaced the olympus 8080?

I just got a Sony DSC H1 and its awesome. I'm looking at getting a few lenses for it and you guys might laugh at this "lens" option on Ebay... :D

SPYLENSSAMPLE.jpg

NEW PAPARAZZI VOYEUR Lens for Sony DSC-H1

Is not a zoom, it looks like one but its function is to reflect images of the side of what you are supposed to be aiming at. They will think you are shooting something else. It has great 90 DEGREES reflective optics so the picture quality is not diminished.

With these sample pictures...

BEACH%20GIRLS.JPG

Haha man I laughed when I saw this!

Anyway back to the camera thing, they generally have a few professional reviews that compare all the similar models, but with the H2 you are in the bracket above me, so I don't know who was the winner there, all I know that the H1 was very good for its price and I love it, lens options included. :lol:

get the canon, its excellent! :o:D

the canon also has super macro, just hold down the macro button and it goes super macro.

i have no skill when it comes to taking photos, my camera dose all the work, i couldnt be happier with this one, and the underwater case is a great option.

i looked at most of the cameras you listed when i was looking, i chose the canon due to the reputation mostly, any i like the way it opperated, seemed simple.

this is just my opnion.

Cannon Powershot S3IS excellent

Olympus SP510 uz didnt see it

Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 crap

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 great

I have just brought the Sony H5 and WOW the options that are available on here is just awesome. The macro is so good you can take images of your own finger print. Extra large screen so you can always make sure you got your subject in the picture. Many people who have seen the camera say that its built around a tv screen :lol:

You can find out all the specs at good old www.dpreview.com

At the moment at noel leeming if you buy this camera you also have the choice of a 256 card and bag, 512 card or a photo printing station.

We got the 512 card and it allows us to record 20 mins of streaming video with sound and you can zoom in and out while recording.

Cheers

TM this might make things easier! As PJ said above Dpreview is an awesome site.

Here's a neat feature of their site, a side by side comparison of the camera's you listed. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare ... s&show=all

And they all got about 4 1/2 stars, but it shows all their features etc with links to the reviews. :D

Oh and when you read their reviews make sure you read the rest of it (there are multiple pages which isn't made very clear at all).

You really need to go to a shop and handle each camera to get the feel of them. I love my Sony as it fits well in my hand and I can actually walk along with it hanging comfortably from just my fingers but others of similar size do not have the shape and balance to do this. Since it is a large camera and I often walk around with it, this aspect is important to me.

Grant loves his new Canon.

I agree with going to the store and actualy holding it and taking a few shots. This is what I did and this is what helped me decide between the sony h5 and the olympus sp500uz. I didn't like the flash function on the olympus and the fact that the new h5 had the features we wanted from the olympus plus image stabilizing.

Go into camera house or the likes and ask to see a line up of the cameras on the counter. That way you can go through and actualy see them for yourself as to what you think would suit you best.

Cheers

From the EXIF data on his shots, he's using a Fujifilm finepix S5500, on manual mode.

It's a great camera, but with the drop in DSLR bodies, I would advise going for a good entry level DSLR rather than the large fixed lens point and shoots. The flexibility of lens choice is well worth the extra amount, as well as superior image quality.

My choice would be the Nikon D50, or even the Canon 350D.

I second Tom's suggestion. If you can afford a DSLR the get one of the two listed. I have an Olympus E-300, just bought a 35mm macro. Still playing around with pictures using this macro lens, but what I've found is that there are not many lenses you can purchase for the Olympus - and the lenses are really expensive!

At least with Nikon and Canon, there are a huge amount of lenses available and you can get reasonably priced ones too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Olympus camera, but at this stage with no 3rd party lens makers of the 4/3rds lenses, it makes Olympus lenses more expensive.

Thanks guys. Yup I'm using the S5500, it's not the greatest camera in the world by any means! I just learn't how to use all the settngs to get the best results. The shadow is from the built in flash.

Definatly agree with Tom, DSLR's are the way to go. Personally I would go with a Canon (350D or something) as they have a great reputation for the best pic quality.

Just my 2cents.

Well you get additional lenses with the ones he's looking at also, they are "semi DSLR", in that you are getting many of the features, but without the optical viewfinder. I imagine there's a pretty massive prive jump to an actual DSLR, and then lenses would cost more aswell?