sea water vs stuff n a box?

DG

I have been using NSW for about a year now with no problems. But I do agree you need to be carefull and check out the conditions at the spot where you are collecting your water. Last time I went to collect the water at our local boat ramp it did not look right a bit cloudy and not clear enough so I didn’t get any. The next day in our news paper some guy caught a tuna by hand near the rocks where the boat ramp was. He was going to take it home and eat it. Well the next day birds were found dead on the beach what a coincident you say. They reckon it was from a toxic algae bloom not sure where from but lucky I did not take the water. So to cut a long story short be careful when collecting the NSW AND always have some ASW as backup. The other problem is down our way that is New Plymouth there are two many rives so most good collecting places have freshwater within 1 kilometer

seems the mods have removed a number of posts, mine included.

can the mod that removed the posts please tell us why they were removed?

NSW for me, i test it on each collection, never had any issues with it, but i get it from the same spot every time, and usually approx the same tide. NSW is defenatly cheaper for me, and i enjoy the drive over to raglan, and the time out is another bonus for me.

I have always had enough salt mix on hand to do a 100% change, just for the safty factor.

the best part of using NSW for me is the speed of a water change, all up to change 10% (45ltr) it takes me 25min, and that includes putting the buckets away etc, to do a 10% with ASW i would need to prepare 45 ltrs of RO/DI (read flood because i forgot to change the drums) then measure and add the correct amount of salt mix, then add a air stone to each drum and leave for 24hrs to mix, then check the sg and start the 25min procidure i do whith NSW. time is more of a factor than money for me, i can spare 2 hrs every couple of months to go for a nice drive to the coast and enjoy the view while i collect and it cost about $8 gas, rather than an hour a week to prepare the water.

as for me, I just get it off the beach with a 10 litre bucket. I just make sure that the water is clear before I go collecting...

I have been waiting for a while, the wind has made things a little bit cloudy lately....

I think people just collect from boat ramps because it is easier to back down the vehicle and fill up the boot...

thanks everyone for all the imput :D , have decided to go with nsw and give it a shot, im quite lucky that either coast is within 15 min drive, have invested in some 60 litre containers so will have enough onhand if i need to do a change in a hurry.

everyones opinion is much appreciated and a huge help to all the people like me, im sure. :bow:

there are obviously pros and cons to both sides and it comes down to personal prefernce. However the thing that concerns me most is parasites of any kind bearing in mind how warm rock pools get in summer and theres plenty of living organisims in these. And to awnser a question earlier i know a local marine breeder and all he uses is asw as he puts it to him its just not worth the risk. But as in all hobbies there are different veiw points and opinions so at the end of the day we all go with what feels right.

Never had this happen as you should mix the water overnight. by mixing it overnight you remove all the chemicals in the salt water. i would use a big airstone.

Hope this quote works or I'm gonna be like, totally :oops:

It was mixed up for about a week before we used it, didn't aerate it though as I thought you only had to do that to remove chlorine(enlightenment please!) and it was RODI water I mixed with.It was only a small water change too about 15% which is about 18 litres or something in my tank. Weird...

All i can say is that i use instant ocean and i have never had any problems. I do mix it a day in advance and i throw in a air stone and a heater. In saying that i have had to do a emergency water change where i added a dechloriator to speed things up to now detrament. ( sorry if spelling is of.)