Pond Log

Brianemone

Hi All.

It has been a while since I've posted but thought I'd start a log to track the progress of one of the projects I am currently working on as we rennovate our crappy house.

At the current time there is a small pond about the size of a bathtub in an area that was completely over run with various plants and weeds, this area was cleared out last week and is now pretty much ready for the real work to begin.

I plan to do some digging this week and hope to find a suitible pond liner (butyl or similar). I am also contemplating wether the extra work in creating some form or waterfall with the return from the pond filter would be worth it, and if so how to do this.

Also any suggestions people have to do with concealing the filter or building my own one would be great.

Ciao

Hey there. I'm pretty new here but have done alot of reading about ponds.

Do a search in google for 'veggie filter' and/or 'rubbermaid pond filter'.

There's heaps of info out there to build out of pond filters. Some of the veggie ones I've seen are made in large plastic planters so are attractive enough not to need hiding :)

I saw some plans ages ago for a 'spider filter' basically it was a bunch of pvc pipes with lots of holes drilled all connected up to a pump and covered in gravel. The idea was the same as an under gravel filter, seemed like a pretty good idea to me. It was called a spider filter because all the pipes joined at the center like a starfish or spider, but theres no reason it would need to be setup like this.

Hey Brian I havent seen you on in ages, from memory you left around the time that everyone was getting banned! Do you still have a marine tank? How did the ocean werx stuff work out?

I got rid of everything marine just before we moved into our house as we are fixing it up and didnt know for sure what we would do to the house.

Cant remember anyone being banned but I could imagine who it might have been.

Thanks for the tips about the filters guys, i'll keep them in mind, still might just buy one but need to shop around before hand and weigh up the options

did some digging yesterday and finished one half of the pond. I'll snap a few pics tonight to show the progress.

on the topic of filters, does anyone have any reccomendations for decent pond filters?? I had a quick look here and while i am yet to figure out the volume of the pond i feel it might be far cheaper and less time consuming to just buy one.

I have an australian brand called Waterwerks I think.

It's a submerged one that sits on the inlet side of the pump.

near the bottom of the pond, 2 types of sponge and bio-balls under them.

Volume is 1100L I think it said it could handle a little more than that.

I don't know enough to know how well it's working except it collects alot of sludge so I suppose it has to be working!

The down side is that you have to lift it out of the pond for cleaning (which I guess gets done every 3-4 weeks cause it's a pretty small unit)

When lifting it out, you need to be able to sit it on a ledge or the edge of the pond cause it's full of water and heavy'ish. Also as you're lifting it spills dirty water back into the pond. We chose it because it was a retrofiit to an existing pond which wasn't designed with a filter in mind so needed it on the inlet side.

I think it cost about $80 from the WaterGarden place here in chch.

There are a couple going on trademe now that look pretty good actually for less than that!!