What do you do to get plants to grow really well?

Aquarium Dude

You need to have a nice balance of lighting, fertilisers and CO2 in your tank. With all these at optimum levels and a nice substrate, you will get great growth. The trick is finding the balance, and what works for some people, will not necessarily work for others.

No, it won't hurt your fish at all and I doubt it would affect breeding. If you want to use it I'd suggest you mix it with fine gravel, put a layer in the bottom of the tank and then cover it with gravel or sand. Aquatic plants love it but if you use too much it does make a mess when you pull plants out - clouds the water and settles on the leaves.

No, it won't hurt your fish at all and I doubt it would affect breeding. If you want to use it I'd suggest you mix it with fine gravel, put a layer in the bottom of the tank and then cover it with gravel or sand. Aquatic plants love it but if you use too much it does make a mess when you pull plants out - clouds the water and settles on the leaves.

i take it you dont wash your aquatic mix and straight cover it with sand? this means water cant penetrate into sand and make the mess? unless pull the deep root of the plants out.

My tank is 60cmx30cmx30cm. From what I read so far, I'm looking for a full spectrum florescent light that gives me 2wpg. I'm just starting out. No plants in the tank yet.

2 wpg is a good starter. if your tank is densely planted, you may need to go up to 4 wpg as recommended by amano. that is a good 50 watts light for future expension.

unfortunately 60 X 30 cm does not leave you much room to do a future expension.

you will needs lots of the fat T8 or go for the skinny one, T4. i saw one in bunning the other which was quite interesting. T4, 20 watts and 6,500 K (i could be wrong about the 6500). you can build your own lighting as i have done before.

i used PL light which is basically T4 in U-shape. one piece of PL light give me 36 watt at 6,500 k. one is good for a starter and i can add another one later to made it 72 watts when it is heavily planted.

i prefer PL light to MH simply becasue PL light is a day light saving (save on power bill) and cheaper to replace than MH.

Cheers