400ltr pond

owen

I wanted a raised pond that was big enough to keep a few goldfish in, that was lightweight , yet robust enough to be drained and moved with ease as Im a renter and I tend to move around a bit.

Heres a few pics of what I built

1-1.jpg

3.jpg

its 1200mm x 750mm x 450mm so roughly 400ltr

I made it out of a single sheet of 2400x1200mm 12mm H3 ply, 11m of 50x25mm H3 timber and 4m of 75x25mm H3 timber.

It is glued together with epoxy glue and screwed with 30mm and 40mm screws. I fiberglassed the inside edges and the outside side edges.

Its pretty robust and its light enough for me to be able to lift it up and put it in the back of the stationwagon on my own.

I painted the inside with two coats of pond sealer to waterproof it and I painted the outside ply with exterior acrylic and i painted the bottom ply with undercoat to seal it.

Im pretty happy with the finished pond and it didnt cost much for the materials- about $70 for the timber, $44 for the pond sealer, $8 for the drain and the glue, glass, screws and outside paint I had laying around.

next I will post pics of the pond with water and plants and of the ingenious diy filter i came up with..

I wish I had taken pictures of the build as it was quite tricky because the ply was warped which made it alot more difficult to construct. I basically had to to drill and screw it together, bending it into shape one screw at a time and then unscrew one side at a time glue it and rescrew it back together again.

the design was very simple though, I just cut out a piece of cardboard that was 1:50 scale of a 1200x1200mm ply board and cut it up and glued it together to get this

p.jpg

and then went out got the wood and made the same thing only bigger.

its been running a couple of weeks now and iv stocked it with 2 fans a black moor and 5 wcmm's

This is the filter setup minus the prefilter that is attached to the pump. Its a simple setup of a couple baskets filled with hydroponic pumice(not in pic) sitting in terracota pots with holes drilled in the sides which water is pumped through and then overflows over the top. It sits inside the pond and will be planted with watercress when i can get my hands on some.

f1.jpg

Here is pond filled with water

6.jpg

its still looking very new. hopefully it'l look better as it ages and the plants in the vegie filters grow bigger.

and yes that is a real frog

It sits inside the pond and will be planted with watercress when i can get my hands on some.

Hey, Im not sure where abouts in Auckland you are but we have watercress growing in all the waterways around our area, Kumeu. Theres a vege shop on SH16 which has a stream running alongside the road. We always get watercress from there.

that looks stunning. whats the black tubes coming from the top left hand corner?

thats for the overflow, i used a couple of irrigation elbows but they tended to dribble down the side of the pond so i stuck some lengths of tube on them.

Looks great! It would pay to keep an eye on the fibreglass on the inside edges. Resins do not like bonding to plywood over a longer period of time and can peel off.

I havent heard that before. I got advice from a boat builder who said that its important to paint the glass so that the resin doesnt go brittle.

Iv got no idea what the strappy plant is, I got it years ago and its been living in a water filled pot outside. could it be a noxious weed?

heres a pic of my fish. They are such cute little guys, the blackmore comes to the top and opens his mouth when he sees me and i can drop his food straight into it!!

fish1.jpg

thanks for the frog compliment Oliver. I got her as an adult back in 1989! and shes doesnt seemed to have aged a bit.

Yes the resin is uv sensitive so the painting is important. The problem with partial glassing is that the corners become strong and the edges of the glass start to lose adhesion from the ply and start to peel. To overcome the problem glass the whole tank so that there are no inside edges to come loose.