Newbie planted tank question

pugsby

Sand is good, and looks nicer in my opinion. Darker substrate looks better too cos it contrasts with the fish/plants' colours. You can go to a nearby river (if you have one) and just take the sand from there, it's lightly coloured, but still looks nice.

Just becareful to not get too finer sand, otyherwise you will end up with it everywhere.

we use "Daltons Propogating Sand" Which is a fine gravel/coarse sand and the plants love it.

It is designed for frowing cuttings in out of water and is easy for the plant roots to push through.

I also suspect that there is a fairly healthy iron content in it, as we never fertilise or use c02 and have no probs with growth.

Bout $6.95 from the warehouse.

B

Shiuh, you don't rinse the aquatic mix as that washes away all of the useful fertilisers in it. You do need to rinse the sand though. When the sand is sitting on top of the aquatic mix, all the ferts in the aquatic mix cannot get into the water so you don't end up with a cloudy tank.

• 2 months later...
I'm having a go at a 54 litre planted tank but am unsure what substrate to use. Whats the best substrate?

Sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times.

Here is my mix - as long as the clay mix never makes it to the top you are fine - be careful with your gravel vacume.

r_Substrate_12Nov2005.jpg

You can sort of see the layers in this image as well.

Tank_1Dec2005.jpg

cheers

chris

what will happen if the clay mix does may it to the top

I assume nothing bad, but dirty water certainly.

I have broken through a few times and put more gravel/sand back on top.

I do not think it is bad, but just can kae your water bad.

Chris

mr bristles went right thru to the bottom (he didnt get any loving looks/words for a few days after that one). his pit was around 15cm long and 4cm wide :evil: i dont have any stones on top though (1cm aquatic mix, 2-3cm of sand) so thats why it is so easy for it to be exposed in my tank so i was asking for it haha. luckily hes given up digging in new spots, only digs in his cave now which has no aquatic mix anymore :lol: