PLC's

sharronpaul

Would you say thay you could set it up for under a grand?

Really depends on what you want it to do, how many things it needs to control, what you want it to monitor etc. mine is fairly basic at this stage as it only controls the temp and some lights, cost about $700 so far. It can be added to later to monitor the ph, water level, conductivity etc and activate some dosage pumps. Can even get a GSM interface to text you the levels of the tank, you can even activate diferent things on the unit that way too (great when on holiday)

I use a PLC to run my reef tank and it is excellent.

I have the following setup.

Inputs

1) Skimmer on and off - switch

2) Skimmer off - 60min - push button

3) Main pump on and off - switch

4) Main pump off 20min for feeding - push botton

5) Sump level switch - turns on the small pump in top up tank

6) Low level sump level switch - if the sump runs dry it turns off all pumps, reators and skimmer.

7) Top off water container level swith which turns off the soliniod connected to the main water tap.

Outputs

1) Main pump

2) Skimmer

3) Ca reactor

4) Zeovit reator

5) Top off tap soliniod

6) Top off pump

I am is South Auckland if you want to have a look.

I would estimate my control system cost about $300. I am working on automatic water change system at the moment.

1 x 1000l container placed behind my shed with a soliniod. Press the botton and water will flow by gravity in too my sump. My level switchs (high and low) will control the flow. I am looking at adding a small pump which will pump water out of the sump too waste. The small pump will be on a timer which will over ride my auto top off and run for 30min. The idea is to do frequent changes at the press of a button a couple of times a week. I will have another container on a trailer which will will fill the one behind the shed.

Very easy to do with a PLC just program it.

Old PLC's are worth nothing and do the job. Mine is about as old as it gets and was free.

Sweeeeeeet, i've just been playing with a philips dimmable T5 ballast, mint. It takes in a 0-10Vdc signal to control the brightness very nice, we're controlling these on a carpark building to maintain a constant lux level.

Be great to simulate sun-rise and sun-set on the tank, maybe even a cloudy passing by. :lol:

Here's a list of data sheet

http://www.lighting.philips.com/gl_en/global_sites/fluo-gear/dimming/products/ballasts.php?main=global&parent=137&id=gl_en_dimming〈=en