australe golds

davidb

One male to two females is a good ratio David.

Then just let them do their thing.

They'll need a JUMP proof lid, that means NO GAPS at all.

Also you'll need some top cover plant, eg. riccia, java moss, small indian ferns.

They will spawn in the plants, but you can leave a mop there to be able to gather eggs yourself and raise the young away from the parents, as the parents will eat the fry if the can.

Best food to raise the babies on are BBS.

Alan 104

My australe golds are still a bit young but I am getting Woks choks breeding OK. I keep the males and females seperate and spawn them in pairs in peaty rain water with a mop (otherwise bare tanks) for a couple of days every two weeks. I found with trios one was laying while the other was eating eggs. I am having success with gardneri gold and albino in trios with the same technique.

I don't know what the pH is but the Council water will be slightly alkali and the rainwater with peat slightly acid. The change to acid soft peaty water encourages spawning but they are quite happy in the tap water. I feed only a range of live food so they get pretty well conditioned before spawning. I try to keep them in the most simple but productive way. I don't get any more complicated than I need to keep then healthy and breeding.