Pleco Or BN?

SilverBlade86

I want one or two of these, and I have a few questions:

1. Are they the same?

2. How big do they grow?

3. What are some nice but reasonably priced ones?

4. Can a M/F pair live together happily?

5. What do they need? I know they need some driftwood, and probably a cave of some sort. But anything else?

6. What should I feed them? Cucumber everyday?

7. If anyone wants to sell me some, please post a picture or something. :)

Thanks for the help.

1. Are they the same?

assuming u mean common pleco like redspot and BN then no. but BN is a type of pleco

2. How big do they grow?

common 30cm+ BN 12cm MAX

3. What are some nice but reasonably priced ones?

retail price = common from $10 at 10cm BN at $2 from 3cm

4. Can a M/F pair live together happily?

yes and can be breed in captivity

5. What do they need? I know they need some driftwood, and probably a cave of some sort. But anything else?

clean water and be feed not just living off algae and left overs

6. What should I feed them? Cucumber everyday?

u can buy sinking food especially for plecos. they also eat bloodworm, shrimp pellets.......etc

7. If anyone wants to sell me some, please post a picture or something.

i only have GBA/golden BN for sale. [one on the left]

DSC01138.jpg

A proper plec needs a minimum 4ft long tank. A BN can go in much smaller tanks.

A large plec can uproot your lovely plants and dislodge decor with the flick of its tail. A BN will not do this.

Plecs are very large poo machines and their long trailing poos sit all over the substrate looking messy. A BN has much smaller poo.

lol yea I should post a pic of the poo my plec leaves JEEZZZZ what a mess!!!!!!

Heres just a pic of him in the mean time, he is in with my turtles. I definately recommend getting a BN aswell I have about 6 of them too and a few GBA's too which are very nice if your after something different

Fish237.jpg

Fish231.jpg

My redspot is over a foot long, doesn't leave poo trails, doesn't knock things over(Mostly). I think they're much better than bristlenoses.:)

Oh, and to be pedantic, only the common pleco is a pleco. Redspots aren't technically plecos, they're a Gibbiceps, the bristlenoses are Ancistrus.

commons/gibbies have the potential to reach around 24" i beleive, most arent able to grow to their full potential though due to a range of things and seem to max out around 40-50cm. they are big eaters and big poopers :lol:

BN are great little guys, the boys are really cute and they are easily sexed unlike the 'commons', BN can also be bred easier than 'commons'. they also do their fare share of pooping but theyre smaller so its not as bad :lol:

i have both and like both but i wouldnt reccomend a 'common' for a tank under 4 feet long and 45cm wide.

i think a trio would do fine, two females and a male.

not all 'plecos' grow big, some will max out around 10-20cm while others like the royal panaque and gold nugget will reach lengths of 40cm or so (over many years). there are a few plecs in the trade (not in nz though) that will reach over 1m long :o