cutting galv. steel

shiuh

hi all,

this might be a dumb question. but this has haunt me for the last few months in which pull me back from setting up a 300L tank. the reason im putting this thread in section is because i am trying to diy my own tankstand.

i am sure many people in this forum have used one of those bunnings type shelving systems. 4 or 5 shelves locking system with mdf on top. if you undestand what i am saying :roll: ..i am trying to cut the glav. steel. in order to fit and get the height i want for the stand. the steel is not very thick around 1.5mm thick.

i dont have powertools, obviously i cant use a hand saw to do this. could anyone in this forum give me an idea of how to do this?

cheers all

shiuh

...and once you get the hang of it, you'll just want to find more things to cut.

Its suprisingly fun to do, sparks etc only fly out in one direction and any grinder will have a splash guard. Just wear some plastic protector goggles the first time you use it, even swimming goggles would do, not as crazy as it sounds.

115mm angle grinder ($20-30) + metal cut-off wheel ($2-4) (try to get a thin one), well worth the investment, I also have rust/graffiti removal wheels for mine, rips paint and rust off old cars like magic.

Diff wear gloves and glasses, some times the disks will fly apart and some times the disk grabs so be careful where you have your hands. One of my mates was cutting up an old trailer and the grinder grabbed then broke the disk then jumped and got hold of his shirt, it tore his shirt up but he was very lucky it stopped before it tore him up. Also an old shirt/pants the sparks will burn holes in your cloths.

Shiuh, when you go to Mega (if you haven't already been) go see Garry in the Power Tools section, tell him his missus says he's got to give you a good deal as a fellow fish nut 8)

just got back...Met a staff in the power tools section....dont know if hes garry...but very friendly and helpful and score myself a angle grinder and disc for around $20!!! :bow::bow:

Diff wear gloves and glasses, some times the disks will fly apart and some times the disk grabs so be careful where you have your hands. One of my mates was cutting up an old trailer and the grinder grabbed then broke the disk then jumped and got hold of his shirt, it tore his shirt up but he was very lucky it stopped before it tore him up. Also an old shirt/pants the sparks will burn holes in your cloths.

you are scarying me mate...i am not a handyman, diff not very good with tools.

LOL youll be fine, loads of people use them every day without damaging themselfs.

Just make sure you have a good firm grip on the grinder, make sure your body isn't in line with the disk incase it flys apart, let the grinder do the work you don't need to push on it just rest it against the metal, and cut it from the side dont start flat against the end or either the metal or the grinder will jump about. Youll get the feel for it pretty quickly.