A challenge for the creative people...

ocean4freedom

I had a bit of fun a little while ago. I found four sheets of 85cm x 37cm x 6mm glass at a second-hand shop, cost $10 for all four! 8)

So I took them home and set myself up to chop up one sheet to make the ends and bracing for a 85x37x37 tank. I'd done some test cuts on some scrap glass and thought I had the knack of it, so I try to scour (spelling?!) the one pane. Not a scratch..

Hmmm ... tried again in a slightly different place - no luck...

Third time... pushed damn hard on the cutter and did a fairly pathetic line. :evil:

Figured "what the hell, I'll try it"

Got covered up in tough clothes and checked my work gloves then went to snap the glass. It wouldn't break! Pushed harder ... nothing. Third time ... Wow, I have 120,000 new bits of glass! :cry: :lol:

As you have probably guessed I now have three panes for good quality safety glass. :roll: So now the question is: what the hell can I go with it?!

I'm thinking a tank with 1/2/3 panes of glass on the facing side and the other sides fibreglass on ply. Any other ideas?

Got covered up in tough clothes and checked my work gloves then went to snap the glass. It wouldn't break! Pushed harder ... nothing. Third time ... Wow, I have 120,000 new bits of glass! :cry: :lol:

Ok if you cut the glass then walked away to put the saftey gear on that is where you first went wrong. When you go over the glass with the cutter it needs to be snaped there and then. Not left to be done later. I have also found this out the hard way due to the phone ringing. All I did was get up answer the phone then came running back with the phone and it wouldn't break so it doesn't take long for the cut to go wrong and not break.

They also say that cutting glass is supposed to give a sound and when cut right you will get a certian pitch which will tell you that you done it correctly but for the fact that I can't hear these sounds I go on feel but everyone is different and in time you will discover what is right for you. Also make sure that your cutting wheel always gets oiled ever 2-3 cuts it does. This will also help the process.

Cheers and good luck.

:bounce:

The problem, as he has realised, is that it is safety glass which you can't cut. I have several odd sized sheets of it behind the house. One sheet made a great cover for a coffee table though :wink:

Keep an eye out for another sheet of glass the right size, or buy another sheet.

Use the remaining sheets as covers.

yea but with the given dimensions of the tank thats gonna be built, all that is needed is 1 sheet big enough to do the ends and the supports. the other 3 sheets do not need to be cut at all. unless you can't use safety glass for a tank? only adjustment would have to be for the height. just add 6mm to the height for the thickness of the bottom glass.

in other words all that is needed is 2 sheets that measure 370mm x 358mm(take off a mm or 2 for silicone thickness) and the support pieces. whether that be the normal sides and middle bracing or euro-bracing. and thats not including a lid. if i were you just check out a glazier and see if he has any 6mm offcuts that will be suffice as a replacement for the glass that broke. depending on the size or quality, you may get it rather cheap. hope this helps. :)

try asking greg or 1 of the other tankmakers on here for advice. they're always helpful.