300L pond

2fishy

HEy

I have a customer who has an approx 300L pond, it has no filtration (apart from a small water fountain), she was maintaining the algae by adding algae fix to the pond every fortnight and all the was well.

Anyway she stopped adding the algae fix as she got busy, so its been about a month without it, now the algaes quite bad and all the fish ( 5xlarge comets) are all dead.

I tested the water pH is at least 8.8, ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, phosphates 0.5

Now im am asumming here the pH has killed the fish.

I didnt know what to tell her to do to the pond to lower the pH, as ive never come across a pond with such high pH.

Any suggestions???

its unlikely the fish died from the ph as goldfish are quit happy living in high ph but very sensitive to low ph or a sudden ph drop so i would not suggest trying to lower the ph if she has already stocked the pond with fish again.

its only an 300L tank why not just empty it and give it a good scrub, fill it back up with tap water and leave it for a couple of day before stocking any fish.

Would it be just best to scrub and empty the pond, refill it and maybe put a pond filter and uv unit on it to get rid of the algae?

bit of an over kill for a 300L pond IMO. but of cause if she is willing to spend the $$ that would be the best.

what i would do after the emptying and scrubbing is just add couple large pots of lily. u will find it would keep the water clean and keep the PH stable and because its only a small pond the water should stay just warm enough for the lily to grow all year round. [once a year lily fertilizer will help it stay though the winter]

I'd sort out getting a filter for it first! There isnt much point in treating the symptoms if shes just gonna keep adding algae fix to make it "work".

Doesnt need to be expensive, a $40 pump, some pumice/scorica/bioballs and an old $10 brewing barrel would make an excellent filter. I bet there'd be some old ones on trademe?

I'd sort out getting a filter for it first! There isnt much point in treating the symptoms if shes just gonna keep adding algae fix to make it "work".

Doesnt need to be expensive, a $40 pump, some pumice/scorica/bioballs and an old $10 brewing barrel would make an excellent filter. I bet there'd be some old ones on trademe?

Good old Kiwi inginuity (spelling) :lol:

Goldfish are tolerant of a very wide range of pH.

Where is the pond (full sun, full shade, a bit of each)?

How deep is it?

How much sun does it get?

How much plant cover does it have?

I think 5 large comets are too many for only 300L and a sudden warm day plus too much algae meant a lack of oxygen.

She should fix the cause of the algae rather than toss chemicals into the water.

When a body of water becomes green, it can then absorb a lot more temperature from the sun than it normally would.

We all know what the sunny BoP is like, and you'd only need one GOOD day, and the temperature could have shot way over the top.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

I know, I lost an outside tank like that, and the fish.

Alan 104

If the pond is concrete it is probably that making the water alkali. Keep changing the water until the pond stabilizes, then add fish. In the meantime use the green water to grow daphnia, plant some lillies to block the light and give the new fish a good feed of daphnia for xmas. If the water is getting very hot the O2 will become depleted so the lillies may help with that.