How are the "New to Marine" people going

Krama

Just wondering how the new people are getting on with their new marine setups. I am doing ok, but probably have similar questions etc that most new to marine have.

Hopefully learn from each others mistakes/sucesses.

I know that there are the same old newbie questions, is there some where, maybe in the sticky section, where the simple questions/answers can be built up overtime etc.

Just a thought.

Mark J

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure how new you are but I'm quite new to it all.

I have had my set up for about 1 month its 170ltrs + sump see below. I brought it as a complete set up off trademe for $150 with a dottyback which died a few days after the big move :cry:

Fish424.jpg

Since the photo I have added 6 coral frags thanks to suphew :bow: who has also helped me out with ALL my anoying questions plus testing my water, gave me a 20ltr water container and lent me his containers for the move and heaps and heaps of other stuff. Actually I would have been in a right mess without all his help :hail::hail:

I plan on painting the back of the tank blue in the next week so you can't see the pipes etc and yes unfortunately the skimmer is about 5cm's too tall to fit in my sump :-?

My test have all come back good so I am currently sorting out some wee fishies, 2 clowns and a bi- coloured blenny to go into the tank to start with and then in a few months time I want to get one or two others depending on how things go!! :)

And it was a great idea to start this thread good thinking!!!! It would be cool to see all the newbee's tanks and to hear how everything is going.

Cangratulations to all those new to Saltwater tanks :D

There are 2 things I will always remember

1. Don't overfeed

2. Take your time when adding fish and corals and make yourself a rule. ie: one month

Even though I have a quaranteen tank I still go by the one month rule.

Don't forget to post some pics :bounce: :bounce:

I will be getting my tank on Wednesday, I'll put up some pictures of the fish and corals. Its a bit of a mystery, I dont know what's in there. Kinda freaky, I've only seen 2 peoples reef tanks in real life, so while I know the theory I'm a little behind on practical experience. :lol:

In the photobucket page there will be each photo listed and underneath there will be three bars - Url , Tag, and IMG. Copy-paste the IMG part into your message here and it will post the photo.

I decided that I would start a marine tank after a recent visit to Wonderland in Rotorua. It was the anemone that got me i think.

I'm still in the planning stage and wont even be putting water in the tank until christmas (have to find something to do while the office shuts for three weeks :D ).

I've been reading up on the old posts here and at reef central. I came across this one that has some really good basic infomation http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=912378&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

So maybe by this time next year I will have photos to be proud of?

I too have started to delve into marine as from july so this post will be interesting!

I started out only with a small tank 120L (what i had around) at July.

I have hooked up a fluval 204 to help flow and act as a sump for now (as i don't want to drill the tank) so i am looking into a weir design to get to the sump.

With 2 T5 lights and 1 normal fluro for lighting and a protein skimmer to help out. I originally hung the skimer off the back but couldn't get it to stop dripping (just one of those small annoying drips that you can never find) so in the tank it went.

Once i have the sump it can go down there and i can put the metal halide (to come) over the hatch to the top.

Word of advice too (as i learn't) DO NOT get an anemone if you do not have a metal halide! my carpet anenome turned into sludge one day!(after 4 months)

I got some framgs from surphew and pies (thanks guys) and they are all going well.

I only have one blue tang, clowns and cleaner shrimp as this is all i want til a bigger tank comes (in 6 months)

And i am really finding it hard not to over feed them as they are so cute when they beg for food :D .

I will post a photo later once i get one.

good to see some of the newbies like myself coming out of the wood work.

I am starting to find out the more I know the better it gets, and I have a lot more to know.

I have a 400l setup, with a skimmer, dosing pump, MH lights 250k, and some neon lights, blue and white, for a morning and evening effect.

I see one of my problems, seeing I have only had it over winter, is keeping the temp down, so I have just returned from "the warehouse" with 2 x $10 fans, hopefully they should do the job.

I might see about getting a temp switch that will turn off the MH when it gets too hot, and just leave the neons on, more like an overcast day, and in that way,with the fans and the "overcast day" I can keep my tank temp down.

thoughts on this would be helpful.

Mark J

hey all my 150lL tank has been set up since september and all is going good.

So i have 5 fishes one clown one bi blenny one one Domino Damsel and 2 blacked caped damsels

I havent got any proper lighting yet will do soon so no corals

All the fish are happy i got the clon and blenny off afrikan they sold there set up so a big thanks to them

>

when it was first set up

a><!-- m -->

whole tank with the lovely brown alge

a><!-- m -->

my sump

a><!-- m -->

that took a lot of editting :D

hope this works...

DSCF4435.jpg

DSCF4437.jpg

I know the quality isnt the greatest. This is under the T5 lighting, with sump underneath.

what you cant see

cork screw anemoe

2x clowns

coral beauty

2 x cleaner shrimp

clam

torch coral

hammer coral

6 hard corals, not sure what they are called

manderine fish

pulsing zena

couple of leathers, yellow, mushroom

all small, but like they say, it will all grow up, then it will be my turn to frag...

THanks to all those who I have met, all good. That is the secret to this hobby, simple advice that you can build on, and heaps of patience, I am sure the same old questions keep getting asked.

James, are you able to look after a sticky of FAQ's for the beginners?

mark j

Good thanks, One year on so still considered a newbie in the marine tank hobby. I would like to post some picks but I am working off the coast of Indonesia and my tank is at home in New Plymouth. Being minded by my partner Cheryl bless her heart.

I have wanted to set up a marine tank for years but my job takes me away from home for six weeks at a time so thought it wise to stick with fresh water tropical. That way my daughter could look after things while I am away. Anyway to cut a long story short and not put you all to sleep I changed jobs last year set up my marine tank and all is good. But I am now back at my old job away from home for six weeks again. I won’t give up the marine tank and lucky for me my new partner is interested in it so much she is doing a bloody good job looking after things while I am away.

My Tips on going marine.

Be prepared to spend money.

You will flood your lounge at least once.

You will spend at lot of time setting up the rockwork then changing it again.

You will get a lot less done in a day because you have a marine tank.

You will want a bigger tank.

You will buy at least three salinity tester before you realise the refractometer is the only way to go.

Your family will hate the thought of having to help move the tank again

You will meet lots of nice people in this hobby.

You will post on this site eventually.

And hopefully you will end up with a very nice marine tank with soft and hard corals.

Good Luck and enjoy i know i have

Ohk, finnaly got some pics but they arent any good...

Blurry pic without flash...

MarinewithoutflashSmall.jpg

Pic with flash

MarinewithflashSmall.jpg

Tank is only a 30L tank, downgraded from my 60L the other night. No corals or fish as of yet, but will be buying corals anytime now. Tank has been setup for a few months now, just sitting cycling. The plan is to have only corals (mushrooms, zoas, maybe a leather and whatever else soft coral will work in the tank), no fish, but may put a fish in later on. The reason for having no fish is so i dont have to feed it, creating waste.

Rogan