I've got Jewel eggs!

Ira

I was chatting to Caryl on IRC tonight about it being hard to sex jewels(Hemichromis Bimaculatus, I believe) and the jewels have decided to make it easy for me. Sorry for just disapearing, btw, Caryl.:) There are somewhere in the range of 500 little eggs on two rocks in the breeding tank. Two of the jewels had penned up the other two in the upper right corner of the tank. Makes it pretty certain who the parents are. So, they've now got the tank to themselves and their eggs. Wifey thinks they might both be female and both guarding their own clutches, but I doubt it. We'll know if any hatch, I think. Jewels are supposed to good parents, aren't they? So I've left them in the tank for now. Any suggestions on what to do? I'll open my can of Brineshrimp and start hatching some when(Being optimistic) I see some wrigglers. But, judging from the size of the eggs they might be a bit small for baby brine shrimp at first. I do have a tube of fry food though.

Ira, don't do your bbs until the babies have been wrigglers for about 4 days.

They will stay on the bottom for that time at least.

Only feed them when they are free swimming.

If thet are in a x community tank,

they will prolly get by with out being fed bbs at any rate.

Goodluck

Alan

Looks like they've been eating the eggs. I'd say about 3/4ths of them are gone. Not totally unexpected, I know many fish eat their eggs the first few times. But, I'm going to start feeding them twice a day just to see if that makes a difference and saves the rest of the eggs. Still can't tell if any are definitely fertile, just look like little brown dots. A few look like they might possibly have something in them, but that's probably just my imagination.:)

Got another batch I'd guesstimate at being approximately 3 million eggs...Ok, probably more like 200-300.:) This time I'm going to feed the parents twice a day, maybe that will discourage them from eating the eggs. If they DO start eating the eggs I might see if I can rig something up to at least save a few.

Yeah, I intend to give them a couple tries, except I'm kinda worried I've actually got two females together. Though, I don't think it's likely that two females would both protect the eggs, I just keep thinking that the females are supposed to be the more brilliantly colored sex and yet, it's the two most colorful that were the ones guarding the eggs so I picked them as a pair. That's why I'd like to make sure at least a couple hatch to be SURE I've got a male and female.

I just had a thought, something I'm not sure whether it's a coincidence or not...Before the first time they laid eggs the filter had slowed down to not much more than a trickle for a few days because of something I'd stuffed up in the filter and they laid eggs sometime that day after I fixed it. T

Today the filter had slowed down to about a trickle because I've got a clump of filter wool around the intake to keep any possible fry from getting sucked up, it was clogged and I'd just cleaned it earlier today. Then this evening I find they've laid eggs.

So, in both cases the water would have been pretty poorly airated because of the slow filter and then the same day after getting a good flow and good airation I get eggs.

Now, whether they just happened to lay after I fixed the filter both times or if the sudden jump in oxygen and current is a trigger, I don't know. Seems plausible though because something similar might happen in the wild after a heavy rain and might be a good time to lay eggs?

• 3 weeks later...

Ira, is it possible to get the eggs away from the parents, say, give them something removable, and remove their fav spawning possi if they have one.

Set the eggs up in similar water parameters, with meth. blue and see if the eggs show signs that they are fertile.

This is one way to prove if one of them is a male.

Don't need to save any babies unless you want to though.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I've confirmed that one of them, has a fork shape on the side of her face, is definitely a female. I caught her with her pants down just now! Unfortunately she was doing it all on her own(fin job?) because the other one is obviously a female too being 3-4 days earlier in her cycle.

Judging from the size of the clutches these two are laying, I'd say it's pretty good chance the previous one I had with this female(Named Fork by Bridget) was also female but laying at the same time because there were about twice as many eggs each time. I only have one more jewel! He better be a male or I'm going to be very disappointed.:(

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no...I've got a new batch of eggs...And It looked like the new fish I tried is ALSO a female. At least it looked like it was laying eggs, but could have(HOPEFULLY!) just been fertilizing them.

Statistically got about a 1/16 chance of getting all females and just my luck...I'll give it a few days to be sure.