distilled water???

bjocque

Yes, its essentially just pure rainwater, however it will have absolutely 0 hardness, and mainting a constant pH may be difficult. Possibly use a shell in the tank to slowly raise hardness and stablise pH.

If you do lots of water changes with distilled water your fish will love you. (unless you have african cichlids which might not be so enthusiastic about it).

Hi Ira

Thanks for the Science Lesson.

Unfortunately most of the world's hobbyists don't have the luxury of a laboratory for a fish room.

Fortunately for me, I do have a laboratory at my disposal and also have laboratory equipment at my home..... I can use any of 7 different condensers to achieve distilled water of differing qualities and grades.

Distilled water is exactly what it is called.

It hasn't picked up any pollen or dust particles, or "NOXIOUS" gases, or anything else that helps to form "SMOG" on the way to earth from the clouds in which it was generated.

IT IS NOT TO BE USED SOLELY TO FILL A FISH TANK TO KEEP FISH IN.

This will start a lot of comment and critisism and that is good.

I look forward to being made out that I don't know what I am talking about, but I say as I know to be correct.

Distilled water is dead and will contain any contaminants that have come over with the water, namely volatiles which have a lower boiling point than water. This is unless very elaborate fractional distillation is used. My question would be: Why would you want to used distilled water? RO is a process that allows the water to pass through a membrane that will filter out any molecules bigger than water but will also contain molecules smaller than water. Not much is pure but then not much needs to be.

In a word; No.

Distilled water has:

"NO ACIDITY"----"NO ALKALINITY"----pH IS EXACTLY 7", (NEUTRAL)----"IT HAS NO CONDUCTIVITY", (Siemens)----"NO DISSOLVED GASES:"

"IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN IT".

Distilled water is totally inert and the purest form of H2O you can get, and as I stated in my earlier post; :roll:

DISTILLED WATER AS SUCH, DOESN'T HAPPEN IN NATURE. IT IS THE PRODUCT OF SCIENCE IF YOU LIKE. :-?

It is a matter of personal preference but I think water is a living thing and boiling it or using fancy filters is not a good idea unless the water is pretty gungy. If the water is potable it should be OK for fish. I think many fish breed better in water that contains some life as they expect the fry to feed on something.

Potable levels of Nitrate & phosphate found in some water supplies are MUCH higher than can possibly be recommended for aquarium use. I can also safely drink water with a pH of 8- not great if you're keeping Cardinal Tetras, or a pH of 5, fairly intolerable for a group of Tropheus for instance. RO filtration is a reasonable and necessary method of preparing water for many aquarium circumstances.

Usually needing adjustment post filtration (to increase gH & kH for instance) it can allow the aquarist to taylor their water to the exact requirements of their pets. DI units can also be added to increase the level of filtration, particularly useful for Saltwater Aquaria where impurites are much less tolerated.

I agree that "nature" does a great job, however nature isn't what is happening in an average aquarium, it's a completely unnatural environment with the fish far removed from their original environment & conditions, even those that are captive bred are not usually accustomed to our water conditions having often originated from fish farms in Asia. Plus that which comes out of our taps is not exactly as nature intended with additives from fertiliser runoff, plus chlorine & floride in some cases.

Even in the fishes Natural environment our impact can be felt as tree felling and mangrove clearage for agriculture/industry disrupts nutrient exchange.

Before some of the more recent advances in aquarium care, there were many aquarium inhabitants that could not be successfully kept in captivity and there are still plenty that suffer much shortened lives where a bit of water testing & intervention could easily have saved them.

My opinion is just that sometimes science has to step in to correct imbalances and to make sure that we are offering the best environment for our pets.

I think I may have gone a bit off track from the origional distilled water question... :roll:

I guess people will do what is right for their circumstances, but at a minimum I would recommend knowing what your tap water starts out like-testing pH, kH, gH as a minimum, plus NO3 & PO4 if in a rural setting. If you don't want to purchase test kits then your LFS will often provide this service.

Also a knowledge of the requirements of the fish you keep so that if you choose not to make any adjustments you can at least keep fish that will tolerate the water you provide.

What you suggest is obviously very good for you and the way you do things. However I have kept fish and plant for over 40 years and do not own any testing kits. I used to breed 50,000 tropical fish a year and never owned one (even though I have designed and built hardness & pH testing kits along with water softening kits. What I try to do now is do things in such a way that I don't get an excess of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate or calcium rather than becoming expert at measuring the results of what I have done wrong. There is more than one right way to do things and the best way is the one that works best for you.