plastic(perpexs) for tank ?????

steve sisson

hi i am looking at building a new tank the design will have 3 curves in the front and one end sent plan to glass shapers and they say in nz they cant do it as they could do 1 curve only

so why cant i use 15 to 20 mm plastic can curve easy but will it scratch on inside when cleaning ??tank will be for plants tropical etc cheers for replys

Contact tanksman I think he makes acrylic tanks and will know the ins and outs of shaping it.

Tank man does indeed make acrylic tanks and can bend "most" shapes although several architects have near caught me out on several occasions but then that's what they do for a living - design the impossible to build :lol:

suphew - Acrylic has many advantages over glass, it will form to complex shapes that glass will not and is chemically joined meaning no silicone in the corners just a nice polished edge.

smidey - Contact Tank Man for acrylic and he will look after all fnzas members with discounts.

Hey Tank Man,

We might need some Perspex Sheets (would have to get back to you on sizes), but would you be able to get some (thin sheets are fine, prolly better!) and would you be willing to send to Welly?

How much price wize? (Is it per metre etc?)

And postage price?

Hi Mystic,

PM me for prices etc, I can possibly deliver for FREE as I'm suppose to be heading south on friday.

If it's for lids for tanks then perspex is not the best. It tends to sag and every few days you have to turn it over so it sags back the other way. Polycarbonate (or Lexan) is better as it's almost as clear but does not sag. It also does not break if you drop it.

What about if you fold the edge's of the acrylic to stiffen it Warren ?

Poly carb is 2x the price of acrylic :o

Yip, folding the edge helps a lot but it will still sag a little over time. The bigger the edge the less the sag. If you have space, the small extra cost for the extra material will save a lot compared to polycarb. I had no idea it was that much more expensive!! How much does it cost to add a fold to the perspex compared to cutting it and glueing the strip on (as it has to be folded when hot doesn't it?)

If you were talking some thing around 600 x 400 with a 40 mm lip folded up all the way around it would put like $35 on top of the acrylic price. I don't like gluing bits on for strong backs it never last that well either.

So 500 x 700 x 4.5 acrylic for instance would be $40 for material so $75 all up with folds including Gst

Tank Man.

2mm Poly carb $105 Per square meter including GST so 600x400 = .24 of a meter so that's $25.20 incl. 2mm acrylic as a comparison would be $54.39 PSM Including GST.

When I get time I'll put together a list for acrylic prices for the fnzas members and list it in the commercial section.

Tank Man.

• 2 weeks later...