November 2, 200619 yr comment_128766 How much do Betta's go for? I'm looking for a ... male maybe, or female. I've read that females look nearly as good as males, is that true? Anyways, I wonder how much a nice one would cost over here in Chch. Any ideas? Of course if any member would like to ship one over, drop me a PM. Provided I could afford it of course. Report
November 2, 200619 yr comment_128769 Males look better by far IMO especially if they have long tails, but females look alright too (short tailed but colourful) See them in the shops for about 10-20 dollars, more for crowntails, and half moons. Gotta say theres better selection up North for the more exotic varieties, when I was down South, it was as hard as heck to get a female. You could always try Trademe :lol: Hope that helps. Report
November 3, 200619 yr Author comment_128824 Been looking at TradeMe for a while now, but there's none for sale. Maybe after exams I'll go hunting for a nice Betta. Can't believe how hard it is to find some in NZ! Report
November 3, 200619 yr comment_128825 hi there.....some female fighters are beautiful...I had an awesome tank with a brilliant pink girl and an almost neon blue one.....but the boys by far are the most handsome...generally they are very well priced for such a gorgeous fish. Animates sell the boys for about $13.95..... Critter Kingdom on Blenheim Road sell them for up to $20 and (my opinion) they are nowhere near the fish that animates have although I have managed to get some awesome female fish from that store (if there is none in the shop ask the man cos he breeds his own out the back) Pet World on Ferry Road sometimes have fighters...both sexes...females seem to be hard to come by. It is also well worth a visit to Redwood Aquatics.....they tend to not have a lot of fish on display but I think there turn over must be quite high because often if you ask about other stock they will tell you if they have what you want in quarantine and when they will be available.....I bought a 'girl' there once...but she turned out to be a boy!!! those plaket fighters sure can fool you cos of the spade like tail! I have 3 awesome females right now....2 are from one of our own spawnings....and one I bought from Christchurch....think it was the critter kingdom store. (I don't live in Christchurch) anyway...the females can go from around $8 to $13.....Ferry Road and Blenheim Road tend to have their males in those horrible little jar things under lights and the fish look terrible and miserable.....animates usually have them in the tanks...sometimes in breeders but often swimming free. Both Moorhouse Ave and Blenheim Road animates are worth a look...I have got to say that animates tanks generally are by far the cleanest and healthiest looking....some tanks really put you off buying. Report
November 3, 200619 yr Author comment_128864 Thanks, I saw some in Animates at Blenheim, but those fish looked ... sad. Maybe it's the small containers they put them in. Report
November 3, 200619 yr Author comment_128881 Err, I meant the one at Tower Point. It's on Blenheim Road if I'm not mistaken. Report
November 3, 200619 yr comment_128922 Hi i have a tank full of young bettas here mum and dad are the two fish at the top left and top center. Mum is the white one in the middle. All the babies are colouring up to be like dad but i think there are some long fin babies coming through. they are all too young to be sexed but will be cheaper than the pet shops. pm or email if interested. Report
November 4, 200619 yr comment_128985 Hi! I think the female fighters have great personalities more so then the males. I have my two females in a community tank and they are very funny, they will jump for food, follow your finger and even jumped the barrier into the males quarters and spawned with him one weekend when I was away. My purple female is obssessed with my blue male and will move the floating breeding trap next to his tank divider just to be able to see him. The males are very pretty but the girls equal this with their personalities in my opinion Mel Report
November 4, 200619 yr Author comment_128996 Hmm, now I'm confused. I dont know what to pick! I'll probably get one or two females then, and maybe a male once I'm confident they settled down properly. Any other input/advice I could get? Report
November 4, 200619 yr comment_129038 Hehe good luck deciding. Females you can keep lots of in the same tanks, male you can have only one, or a few more if you get some dividers. What's the size of the tank are you planning on having? Makes a little bit of a difference. Report
November 4, 200619 yr Author comment_129050 My current tank is a around 1.8f, but I'm upgrading to a 3f tank after my exams are done with. So having multiple males should be fine, I might divide my old tank up. I have guppies, WCMM and maybe swordtails in it. Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129164 It would pay to watch the guppies with the male fighter - he may attack the male guppies particulalry if the guppies have good colour and finnage The fighters are gorgeous. Report
November 5, 200619 yr Author comment_129168 Just temporarily though, the fighter and the guppies are all still juveniles. After a few weeks, I'll have the new tank ready and the others can move into it. But it should be fine for now right? Report
November 6, 200619 yr comment_129176 We have two community tanks that have a male and two females. They get along fine and seem much happier that way if you ask me Report
November 6, 200619 yr comment_129177 Hey Loopy nice fighters! How many do you have for sale? I would be interested in getting maybe 4 colourful girls. Report
November 6, 200619 yr comment_129269 Hi there MLF! At the moment the babies are not quite big enough to sex especially for females. There are a few males standing out now though. A certain pet shop here in Chch has offered to buy the whole lot off me and grow them out and i have accepted their offer. I have not got the space to grow them out so it was a total blessing when i recieved the offer. (i was NEVER expecting to raise 550 fry so successfully) I am in the proccess of selecting my pick of the spawn and then they will all move to their new home. Report
November 6, 200619 yr Author comment_129285 Luckily before Loopy sells it, I have the honour of picking one or two or maybe three for myself. On a side note, I went a certain unnamed and asked for the price of a big piece of driftwood. Around 1.5 feet tall and long. They told me it was worth $60. Thats not normal pricing now is it? Maybe I gotta go find some of my own driftwood somewhere. Report
November 6, 200619 yr comment_129307 I have seen some ridiculous prices for driftwood, terrible peices, very small and poor shape similarily priced. I was like "What the hell, hese things do grow on trees." :lol: Report
November 6, 200619 yr comment_129336 I would have thought that cheap silverblade as I have seen horrendous prices on small, ugly bits of wood. Go for a picnic to Hokitika near the mouth of the river. You will find lovely waterlogged rata and rimu washed down from the forest. Ideal for aquariums. I use it a lot in my own tanks. Report
November 7, 200619 yr Author comment_129380 Yeah, but if I recall thats all the way in Westport isnt it? Bit of a drive down for me, I was hoping to find some over here in Chch. 8) It will be a great experience anyways, I've got practically nothing to do during the upcoming hols. So anyone got any secret spots where I could find some big driftwood? Of course, if your son is coming down again.... Report
November 7, 200619 yr comment_129444 No it isn't all the way to Westport. Our club did a driftwood trip to Hokitika and we are further away from Hokitika than you. It is a 4 hr trip for us. Good fun. Report
November 7, 200619 yr Author comment_129454 Trying to find a map of where Hokitika is in the South Island. Not having much luck so far. Do you have any estimates on how long it will take from Chch? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.