I was bad, bought some frogs, now what?

Ira

if these were the whistiling tree frog... heres what i know

So far as frogs being non fussy to water conditions... yeah rite not so.

Amphibians in particular frogs are one of the key indicatiors of pollution in many cases. If you watch an environment which has been trashed one of the first things to go are the frogs. Everything else might seem fine but theres no frogs where once there was. Why? Thats trickier to answer you might want to consider consulting a biologist specializing in frogs. (NB: I was before I stopped studying toward marine science but thats some time ago now)

I kept frogs & tadpoles for years when I was a kid. So far as feeding adults went mine were in open top (meshed) housing outside with a light nearby which attracted flying insects they got everything from tiny midges to moths.

Temperature... not too hot so long as you can make it reasonobly stable possibly using a thermal ballast system.

Filtration... yeah right... what filters. mostly mine were out of direct sunlight in tannin water mostly due to leaves rotting in the spouting, the only water changes were from rain (I was living on the edge of Fiordland which is high rainfall anyway probably where I was got around 2 meters per year) a week without rain is a long time there. If you can simulate these conditions they will flourish. I would suggest bring on about an inch of rain every 4 days. Temperature range about... 15 degrees roughly but its not so critical 20 is fine.

Get hold of scientific journals for the species of frog you wish to keep and breed.

We had frogs everywhere as a result of my neverending collecting tadpoles and setting up outdoor ponds (always plastic). Frogs love flax and ferns.

Mostly the best way I know to do them is dig a pond outside in a shaded area, plant heavily around it particularly with flax. If you have this close to the house the frogs will come up the window when it rains and catch bugs on the glass. Then once your pond is established... leave em to it & keep throwing in tadpoles... the frogs will come. if you live somewhere dry you might want to use a fine sprinkler around the pond on a regular basis which will also take care of water changes. Beware of chlorine & overly clean water. Some muck is good too much is bad.

I planted a little river weed in my ponds also which helped the water conditions but dont let it get out of hand.

Food: They will eat algae, fish food, bread, pretty much whatever. Tads seem to do well on fishfood.

Once your pond is fully established however you will likely not need to feed much as it will be self feeding.

Hope thats of some use.

I got 5 of these tadpoles just yesterday from animates. So far they're fine, I just fed them a couple of flakes of fish food. I once tried to raise golden bell tadpoles that I caught but I put them in with an adult frog, not knowing that the adults will eat their own young. I hope to raise these tadpoles over at my dad's house so that my stepfather doesn't complain about me getting more pets :D and my half sisters (ages 6 and 4) can watch them develop. Good luck if you try again Ira, it seems largely dependant on chance.

I picked up 5 more today. They're now in a bucket drip acclimating and I'm using water from my pond instead of tap water. The woman there suggested I use some Cycle and Aqua plus(Expensive stuff, I never use it) but I thought I might give it a try this time. We'll see how long they last.