Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bloody heaters...

Featured Replies

Well last night my girl and I came home from a good productive day to find that the heater had gone ape-$hit and pushed the temp of my community tank to above 30 :evil: (didn't have a thermometer in there but it was like bath water :o ).

My girl and I did high speed water changes (carefully of course) and also dumped a sealled bag of frozen peas into the water. After a frantic 20 minutes, the temp was down to a decent level and the damage could be assessed. Suffice to say that I lost 2 kuhli loaches, 2 kribs (in full breeding colours and jealously guarding eggs) and nearly a third krib (who seems to be back to normal this morning but very lonely) :cry:

Funny thing was that the two siamese fighter females thought this new temp was excellent and my dwarf gouramis were quite happy too. My red spot pleco just looked at me and sighed before nibbling on a pleco chip! :roll:

Fortunately (if thats the right word) I had just swapped the tanks so had put my oscar and firemouth into the other tank or I would have lost them instead. But you can't really compare...

All in all a helluva stressful afternoon, but everyone's stable again. I'm glad we came home when we did...

Sorry to have to say this but so you know for the future,the high temp probably wasn't what killed the fish, most can handle temps well into the 30 for short periods. it is the fast change in temp that does them in. What you should have done is just remove the faulty heater and let the temp drop slowly so the fish could adjust with it.

I've had my tank of gouramis and my tank of bristlenoses regularly drop to 20 degrees and go over 30 degrees during water changes and, despite my best efforts, it's never killed any that I noticed.;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.