chimera's needs help

Fay

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite simple, I have already traced his ISP account back to Optus net and IP is 211.28.103.138. From there it's easy enough to hack his computer, perhaps install some viruses on it etc. Maybe that will keep him busy for a while... 8)

I guess only specially selected people get to see the "IP" button on posts. ;-)

I wonder how the weather is in Sydney today?

nah still crap. havent done alot with it other than been feeding the fish and continuing with regular water changes (20% weekly now) no improvement on acro's that are in there, no improvement on lps either. a little stumped, not sure if it was solely the fluidising carbon that caused it :(

got to plan a weekend to rip out all rock from the display and redo it all. finding the time is difficult at the moment. up north for work at the moment.

you dont really want to see pic's anyway, it will just make me depressed taking them! looks like a coral graveyard - thats probably best way to describe it.

Hi Chimera-

I’ve been experiencing basically the same situation as you, i.e. corals dropping dead left and right. :evil: One factor that I think started it all (in my situation) was a bad P04 kit (old Salifert kit) showed clear no matter what. I got a new kit and the first granule that hit the test water turned it dark blue. YIKES!! :o I immediately dumped some P04 remover in there and cleared that up by the next day or so (new Salifert’s readings were now clear on double dose).

Good!

At this stage, only a few corals were looking worse for wear and no deaths yet. Well, maybe one or two, but I thought that was pretty lucky given the P04 reading. Even though the water parameters were now all good, I was still stressed enough to have some of the pieces moved over to a friend’s tank. Turned out to be a lucky move!!

Unfortunately about the same time (maybe shortly after), my topup Eheim pump impeller cracked, so I temporarily replaced it with a damn King 3 that I bought a few years ago while I wait for the replacement to arrive. Since about that time, the deaths have been fast and furious. In some corals, I could watch the tissue peel off in front of my eyes, some others were a bit slower and died over the course of a week, while others (millis and stags) have been the last to be affected (just now having the tips appear damaged, i.e. the first step towards death). :evil: :cry:

During my regular tank maintenance today, I took the pump out for a clean and the inside was full of DARK red, rusted water. :o I presume that this is not good. I did as big of a water change as I could, ~25%, and luckily had already been running some Purigen. My buddy and I started using the Purigen about the same time and I thought it was strange that mine already needed to be recharged while his was still pretty much white/new.

At any rate, just thought I would share my experience since the outcome is similar to yours, i.e. MANY CORAL (SPS) DEATHS. I don’t know if this is the reason (partial or completely) for my (or your) unfortunate situation, but it may be worth while to check your pumps as well.

Cheers, Steve

I wouldn't get too carried away cleaning it up too fast. Too much change too quickly can be harmful.

Too much Po4 resin too quickly could have puit the nail in the coffin. If the red stuff in the pump is just "rust", don't worry about it.

Rather than continue stripping the water with various resins, a few water changes may be better, although sounds like most of the damage may be done.

I wouldn't get too carried away cleaning it up too fast. Too much change too quickly can be harmful.

Too much Po4 resin too quickly could have puit the nail in the coffin. If the red stuff in the pump is just "rust", don't worry about it.

Rather than continue stripping the water with various resins, a few water changes may be better, although sounds like most of the damage may be done.

Sweet. Thanks. I just added the recommended dosage and it cleaned it up quite quickly. Maybe that was actually a bad thing. :oops:

Wasp, is there every such a thing as too many, too much water changes? especially if you are using nsw?

If the water going in is of basically similar parameters to what you take out, no issues. When it can go wrong is doing a big water change with water quite different. However provided livestock is healthy you can get away with murder I think the risks are overated. Same thing happens in the wild when the current changes.

Don't make me start another iron thread

After your last performance I didn't think you'd be up for another one :lol:

I just added the recommended dosage and it cleaned it up quite quickly.

Depends what type of resin you used, if it was Rowaphos, which is very efficient, the recommended dose can shock a tank, especially when you already got weak corals. What some people do is when starting with it they put the reactor on a timer. 1 hour a day for the first few days, then increase gradually so after a couple of weeks it's on full time.

But hey, whatever the cause, good luck, hope it's not too bad! Been there!

Joe I'll soon have an eheim you can borrow as a return if you need to while your waiting for your replacement.

edit: is this a normal pump or a topup? I'll have a 1262 tomorrow.

Hi Feelers-

Thanks heaps for the offer. It was just a small eheim 1250 that I was using for top up. I've already borrowed a replacement impeller from a mate and got the rusty mess out of there.

Thanks again!

Steve

Depends what type of resin you used, if it was Rowaphos, which is very efficient, the recommended dose can shock a tank, especially when you already got weak corals. What some people do is when starting with it they put the reactor on a timer. 1 hour a day for the first few days, then increase gradually so after a couple of weeks it's on full time.

But hey, whatever the cause, good luck, hope it's not too bad! Been there!

Hi Wasp-

I used the Salifert stuff in a canister filter. It was quite surprising how fast it removed the p04. I was just reminded by my mate that it actually only took a matter of hours for a new clear test. :o