Turtles and fish

2fishy

Moved from Diseases.. Mod Bill.

I have fish in a turtle tank (the turtles arent in it), i did a complete water change and filled it up and added the water conditioners etc

Can the turtles leave something in the tank to make fish sick?

coz they (neons) are sick and dying.

so you used tap water, added de-chlorinator then chucked all the neons in?? was the tank cycled??

Are you using the same filter as you where when the turtles were in there?

I cant see anything that would make the fish die that has been left by the turtles....

maybe a bit more info on if you used the same filters etc. might help....

yip same external filter - not cleaned out before adding (has been going the whole time)

same gravel from the turtles so would have the bacteria in it, the water was new but i left it for 4 days and added good bacteria and aquasafe, water parameters were: pH 6.8, Ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

i used TLC, its proven to break down ammo faster than stresszyme.

the ammo etc levels were 0 anyway.

I had heard that turtle urine can hurt fish but i dont know if this is true.

i know ppl that have fish in WITH their turtles with no probs, aside from the turtles sometimes snacking on the fish.

i wont get started on what i think about products like that, you cant beat waiting a cycle out.... But thats a totaly different matter, you do it how you like it....

my mate had a BIG tin foil barb in with his turtles up untill a few weeks ago, when it became food :)

Sorry i cant help you with anything else...

I have a large pleco with my adult turtles as well as guppies which were intended as turtle tucker but move too fast and have now grown up and had babies of their own which have also survived. The pleco has grown up whith the turtles since they were all babies. The only fights are between the turtles.

• 2 weeks later...

I have convicts in with my turtles 2x breeding striped with about 40 fry, I haven't seen fry grow so fast!!! they eat all the left over turtle food and its doing alot of good!!! I also have 4 white convicts in there and a pleco and I have never had a fish die in with them so I don't think thats your problem

We had maybe a hundred juvenile pearl gourami in with our turtles, they loved it and kept the tank nice and clean. I cut down the turtes feed for a while and the number of gouramis slowly dwindled...... turtles can be quick when they want to be.

One thing I have noticed in the past is the filters can pick up alot of the white wispy shedding and this has blocked impellers and sponges on some of our filters. With a recirculating/canister affair, I guess lines would have to be cleaned regularly as well, or the shedding would build up?

So to answer your question, fish are fine with turtles, could be a dodgy batch of neons from the importer?