Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Severum - how hard?

Featured Replies

I have the option of taking on a Golden Severum. I have previously had livebearers, community fish, angels, and smaller cichlids - convicts and Kribs. I am just starting out again with tropicals, and hope you guys can tell me what I need to know to take on this beauty. How strict will I have to be with pH, etc. The tank that he comes with is 170 litres, so would seem to be big enough for him to grow. All advice welcome please!

Hehe, They're far less delicate than angels and guppies. Take a box, will it with warm water, add food, that's about all you need.

congrats on ya new fishie!

i agree, severums are a piece of cake to look after providing the fish is in good health. they are very placid fish (IME anyway) and its nice to have a large cichlid that doesnt think hes a brute. they dont care about water params as long as they are stable and not at extremes, your usual aquarium maintenence suffices. they are also very owner responsive

it depends on the footprint of the 170L, severums can easily get to 25cm and are average growers (IME). as long as the tank is at least 35cm wide you should be sweet.

feed your usual cichlid foods, large pellets, earthworms, frozen foods etc and he will be happy. they are slightly more messy than your smaller fish so make sure you have some decent filtration.

  • Author

Thanks for the advice so far. I go to see him tonight. And will see him eat as well. Now I just have to work out where I am putting the new tank if I go ahead - I laughed when I first came on here at MTS - this will be my third tank, and last year I had none!! So I am well and truly a victim, but loving it. Cheers guys, thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.