Gidday!

k0mit3t

Hi guys,

I signed up here sometime last year but never introduced myself, and seeing as I've finally got a tank up and running again I thought I'd do so now.

I'm Tim, I live in Blenheim at the moment (previous Wellingtonian). I have a 170l planted tropical tank which is a constant work in progress. From what I can tell all the inhabitants are enjoying themselves. What do I have in there?

3 Clown Loaches

3 Pearl Gouramis

2 Bristlenoses

10 Glowlight Tetra

5 tiny Harlequin Rasbora

5 Black Phantom Tetra

Here's a picture I took yesterday (new plants added so it's not as planted as I'm hoping for, yet. Also there's not exactly a large range of plants here in Blenheim!):

0061.jpg

Sorry about the reflections, I'll take better photos when I recharge my camera if people are interested at all.

:)

Cheers guys, and thanks for the photography tips Caryl.

I bought about $50 worth of plants earlier in the year Heather, got them mailed to me, but they weren't exactly in good condition by the time they arrived - pretty mushed up. I'm not exactly thrilled about the thought of trying it again! Will see how it's looking in a few weeks time before I look into getting any more anyway. What I really need is some sort of carpet plant..are there any recommendations?

Cheers for the warm welcome guys!

I did as you said Caryl, and came up with some pretty nice shots (I think so anyway). Most of them were out of focus but there were a few good ones:

5.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

One question for you people out there who know a thing or two about gourami - in the 3rd picture, is that a male or a female?

Cheers guys :)

yeah i agree with caryl definitely. the easiest way to tell the sex of gouramis, at least the pearl, moonlight, honey and gold/lavender/opaline/three spot is by the dorsal fin, females and juveniles have curved whereas males always have pointed (unless its been bitten off or some other means). juveniles mimic females to avoid confrontation to increase their own fitness so they can save energy to invest in growth. bit of an animal behaviour lesson there too, hope you dont mind?

i like the pics of the tank, nd the fish look stunning too. nice one!

Cool guys, thanks for the confirmation. I originally thought that I'd bought 3 males (I'd hoped for 1 male and 2 females, but when I got to the shop realised that all their dorsal fins looked pretty much the same..so just got the three most active/healthy looking ones), but when I looked at that photo once I put it on my computer I suddenly thought that it could be a female.

And thanks for the interesting info Sirkus :)

Welcome aboard K0mit3t. :lol:

Good have have you join us.

You may even join your LOCAL Club which is always on the lookout for fellow hobbyists. :wink:

Nice piccies.

Like your clowns, and good pix of the Pearl / Lace Gouramis.

I have bred them and find the dorsal fin on all the species is a pretty good bet as to sex.

Confirmation of the Paerl is that the male has all the fin rays on the Dorsal and the anal fin extended to form long filaments.

:bow:

• 2 weeks later...