movin home

greg1

hi to all , well what a intresting site ,i,m a kiwi gone missing in ozz for a few years or so and i,m selling regretfully all my tanks an gear to a mate of mine over here .i presently have a tank full of malawi,s that are breeding like rabbits ,would,nt you know it buy them all at juveniles watch them grow then have to get rid of them when they breed like that ,my other fish is the ghost or knife fish an my pet oscar fred who i can pick up move from tank to tank when he has a spring clean ,he,s such a neat fish an so freindly.well anyway i,m moving to the nelson region an would appreciate any contacts on the purchasing of discus as thats going to be my next hobbie fish ,and i realise thats theres a bit of work in them but i,ve had a go at a lot of other species an i just have looked forward to getting into discus for a while now ,what prices are tanks 3ft up over there ,i als0 run aquaclear 300 dual filtration systems on my 3 to 6ft tanks,their cost in ozz are $120 aus an the stainless heater are about $70aus how does this compare in kiwi .any feedback i can get would be of great help ,regards greg1 : :wink:

Welcome to the forum Greg1

Purchasing Discus, I would suggest when you get settled in over here join a local club. Someone here will be able to give details. (not that I can talk, still haven't joined one myself)

Stainless steel heater, brought two recently $60 each

Haven't brought any tanks for a long time, make my own, glass and silicone for a four foot cost $220

Fluval 404 Filter $322

If you are in a major centre then do try second hand, lots of bargains.

Welcome again

Mark

:D hey thanks for such a quick reply,goldie,mgilchrist ,very much appreciated,will look around local second hand market when i get home an will check trader as recomemed,all the best with your fish ,ps what varietys are you into ,reargs greg1

Just starting to get into Discus in a community tank, with cardinal tetras, bristlenose catfish, blackline flying fox, harlequin rasbora. At the moment the discus are about half grown.

and 1 platy that i missed when selling off all the old fish, keep meaning to take him into the fish shop.

Mark

Good to hear from you Greg. I am in Blenheim so you will be just over the hill if you settle in Nelson. There is no club in Nelson at the moment but you could always start one yourself :D or join ours.

There are 3 shops in Nelson and the stock varies. A trip to Christchurch would set you right!

There are a number of discus keepers here and I am sure they will be willing to give help and advice when you are ready to set up.

:D hey thanks for all your replys but if possible ,when you get the time could someone in kiwi check out the prices on the aquaclear 300 and 500 dual filtration sytems as thats what i run here and i find them really good units ,thats my preference anyway ,i just find for reliable service and cleaning and performance overall they work for me ,and at my local weekend markets over here in australia i can now purchase the both types for under $100 aus after just buying one last month for $120.60 ,isn,t always the way so if i can save my self a few bucks by buying my uints here an bringing them back next yr as i want a few of them i might be able to save a dollar or 2 ,thanks once again greg :wink: