I have just been to the beach

shellbell

I still think boiling is a good idea not only to get rid of some of the tannins, but more because of the little greeblies that could be in the wood.

I have bogwood in my tank and it leeched tannins for quite sometime, but it does clear eventually overtime, doing good water changes often in your tank will help keep the brownishness to a level that isn't too bad.

All the best with your tank :D

Thanks your for your help

i have now boiled the peices twice,funny to see stemming wood on the bench LOL.ok now next question should i fill the tank now or wait my plants are on the way I really wanted to put the plants in now with the wood I might put the willow and the wood in and fill the rest in when it comes dose this make sence thinking out loud here

you could always set it up with the wood and partially fill it until you get your plants, that's probably what I would do, that way your wood would continue its leeching and it won't dry out. Then do a water change when your plants arrive to get rid of some of the tanniny water and fill up with the plants in place.

Does the wood float at the moment?

I too would add the wood and water now.. And plan out where you want to place plants and other decor.

I tend to add plants with at least 3/4 of the water in the tank makes it a lil easier to see that they are buried well enough not to float and anything without strong stems won't fall over as much and get damaged.

Not always as easy to plant this way based on things being in the way and working with the reduced weight of gravel/sand under water but in the end I find it easier based on the over all.

I agree with the others. My wood came from the beach too but I didn't boil it (too big to fit in anything) but hosed and scrubbed it well. Never had a problem.

Whether it contiues to leech or not depends on the type of wood. Mine ar rata and rimu and they have never leached at all.

The driftwood, if a large piece, will be a focal point so it is good to add it first then work out the best way to arrange the plants around and/or on it.

Since it is a goldfish tank you will be limited to the sort of plants you can have as they eat most of them!

Bummer one is floating LOL

the others are staying i have attached the willow which i think looks great nice and long and fluffy, I have tied them together with cotton and then onto the wood hey i also found about 50 beautiful shells like hermit crab shells,I have boiled them too can i pop them at the bottom of the tank??

I used one of the big shells and tied the willow onto it to stop it from floating.I will take a photo and show you all once it is all up

You guys are great keep the info coming i know it sounds sick but i am on a wee high LOL ha sniffing the willow

The shells will raise the water hardness and pH.

Thats not necessarily a bad thing, however if you dont have the test kit handy and dont know much about ph/kh/gh then I'd suggest leaving them out.

If you kept african cichlids it would be perfect, but I beleive you're getting goldfish, and I dunno if they like a high ph.

Ohhh bummer what about 4 or 5 then?? i thought they were so pretty.Ok now all 3 peiced of wood have floated i thought i was doing sooo good.I am gutted now I will have to start from scratch.weigh the wood down then tie the plants. who wants to come and help???

Don't get depressed and give up yet!

What is the substrate - gravel or sand? It will have been disturbed by all your mucking about with the wood and should settle again over a few days.

As for the driftwood, you could tie it to a large rock to hold it down. Some people silicone their wood to a flat piece of perspex or glass and lie the perspex flat on the base of the tank then put the substrate over it. It should sink eventually. I suspect willow will take a while as I presume it was dry.

I am exsausted i have been at it since 10 this morning draining cleaning and then boiling wood for 2 hours. the stones fall off i might silicone it to class that sounds good thanks for that,as for tieng stones on they keep falling off

I will leave it I have already throwen my boat and smashed it out of frustration LOL.