Greetings Everyone!

okki

Hi all,

My name's Oskar and I'm a returning fish hobbyist (had trop. fish when I was in primary school).

Currently I have 2 x Aquaone 380 tanks back to back containing the following fish:

1 x Red Male Siamese Fighter (Stewart)

1 x Brown/Blue Fem. Siamese Fighter (Nora)

3 x Kuhli Loaches

3 x "Red Neon" Loaches

1 x Rainbowfish - I forget what kind he is (Raymond)

6 x Emerald Eyes

2 x Dwarf Hara Hara Catfish

1 x Hillstream Loach / Borneo sucker

1 x Otto (since the mysterious disappearance of the second one)

The fish share my time with Ludo and Motley the rats.

I will try to get some photos up, either here or in the gallery.

I look forward to being part of the forum!

Rgds,

okki

Ok, here's some pics of the tanks:

The rock tank:

canonpics009qb1.jpg

Sir Stewart:

canonpics010bw4.jpg

The planted tank:

canonpics014ah8.jpg

The "fish bridge":

canonpics015nb6.jpg

Fish bridge again:

piha102ln9.jpg

Stewart kindly giving us a demo of the fish bridge:

piha101og0.jpg

Ex-tankmate "Bluey" the cichlid:

img1230mj2.jpg

Motley (looks after the fish when I go out)

bangkokzoo001ut6.jpg

Might try to get some more pics up sometime with the rest of the fish..

Welcome... Awesome looking tanks, i like how you have the two different tanks joined together with the bridge. one question though, is there any water flow in the 'bidge'

By the looks of things, there isnt as each tank has its won little filtration system, meaning, that the water in the 'bridge' will become stagnant unless it is somehow circulating... (does that make sence??) It has probably worked for you for a long ime so doesnt matter anyway but its just a headsup....

Rogan :lol:

I was wondering how its works :roll: Maybe some sort of siphon of water which allows a constant flow of water :o

But then the water would go from one tank to another and one tank would be over flowing and the other empty. Plus a syphon will only work if one is higher than the other realy.....

I have seen a water bridge used before on a couple bigger tanks but it had an external filter with the intake in one tank, and the spray bar in the other, meaning the water was always moving between tanks....

I had to take the water bridge after I got my female betta - The male fighter loved cruising back and forth between the tanks, sometimes he'd stop up the top and seem to take in the view. But I wanted them to have their own space in each tank.

In answer to your questions, yes the two tanks have their own filters so there was no real flow through the pipe, so I guess the water in there would stagnate after time. Although when doing a water change in one of the tanks the water would flow through the tube from the other tank and the water levels would stay equal, so it would never be extremely old water.

The male fighter used the tube the most - also my ottocinclus went back and forth a few time (then I lost one - still havent figured that one out), and i even had a kuhli loach go through.

I was initially thinking of modifying the filters and having one tank pump its water into the other tank, then it would flow back through the tube. But for the time being theyre two seperate tanks.