Help needed in buying decision!!!

Richard

Ok...need help in a decision here... I want to buy an external filter for my tank.... have been looking around...very expensive.... found a 2nd hand one for sale.... Eheim 2260 Cannister Filter.... I am thinking to buy this off someone...he wants $300 for it.... what do you guys think? About $359 would get me a brand new Fluval 404 at the moment... so how do they compare?

hi richard would this be the filter on the trade me site that you are taking about,i have bid on this filter myself but i see he has put it back on the acution again.i have both fluvels and ehim filters,the ehims are streets ahead of fluvel.$300 for the filter does not sound to bad,but i saw a 304 yesterday at animates at papanui for $365,they have ehim classics 2113 and 2115 for $179 and $260,i paid $275 for my 2115 about 4 years ago so they are good value as you never really know what you will get with a second hand filter.

yes robert that is the one i am looking at... I am really desperate for one at the moment... because my wet/dry trickle filter is broken... the propeller part of the pump keeps coming out of place and stopping....

and the only other filter I have in my tank is a small internal Rio filter... which would not be good enough for the fish I have in there...

so i need to get something really soon...hope i can get the eheim

Ive been in this hobby for quite some time now and all I do is look around my place and all I see are Eheim's running strong, The reason for this is that all other brands have died a sad death from one thing or another. I have had many different filter's over the years.

Ive had Eheim's run for 15 years and then bust an impeller shaft, Now with most other brands that I can think of this would be the end of the filter! But with Eheim spare parts are available right off the shelf still, not bad for anything that's 15 years at all.

You do pay for it tho no denying this fact Eheim's cost!

Long time commitment look strongly toward the Eheim short term look for what ever gives you what you require for the best bang for buck.

Don't just look at flow rate this is the flow of max unimpeded water flow, With a strong motor flow rates are still kept high even with the restriction of filter medium, weaker motors have a noticeable drop in flow rate when the going gets tough and the pump has to work to pull the water through. So what might look like a high flow rate on the packaging might not be the case in operation on your set up.

Only my own experience on the above and someone may totally disagree.

Could always look at the fact that you could purchase two or three no name type brands for the cost of a Eheim, but I like to not worry about a filter dieing.

I pulled my Eheim wet/dry 2227 or 2229 (can't remember which) apart the other day as it wasn't running properly. Turns out we had a pipe in upsidedown and it was sheer luck it had kept going as long as it had before it blocked. Anyway, I was surprised at how little buildup was in it and it has been running since the beginning of April. Pulling it apart was so simple compared to the Fluval 404 - which is supposed to be easy but isn't.

If that's the auction I'm thinking of it also comes with a bag of Instant Ocean, some test kits and bits. Still, asking FAR too much like many auctions are. Like the ones with a starting bid near the new price for a half empty year old container of fish food.

For freshwater i've tried several different types of filter including Ehiem and Fluval (only 404s). There is no doubt in my mind that the Ehiems are 'better', but they sure are expensive...

For saltwater I am ONLY using Ehiem. Bugger the cost, reliability is more important than anything else, and I know of a guy in Wellington, that has about 7 Ehiem filters running his reef, 4 of which are submerged in saltwater for the last 7 years and still going.

Can't beat that.