DIY aquascaping question - may be stupid

henry

Hello all,

May I first make the disclaimer that I have an extremely limited knowledge of chemistry, cement, concrete, or in fact polysterne balls.

What would happen if you mixed up a cement premix with a mixture of small gravel and polysterene bean bag balls? Would you be able to create a 'just denser than water' light weight aquarium rock suitable for siliconing sand/gravel to.. or just an unholy mess that wouldnt set?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Cheers, Henry.

you could try to mix the cement with the small pebbles and set it around something like a plastic coke bottle.

I once made some pots by digging a hole in the ground and filling it a little way with cement. I then put a plastic pot into the hole and filled the sides with cement.

The dirt hole gave the outside of my concrete pot a cool texture and the plastic gave a place to put a plant.

You could adapt the idea to have a thinish layer of concrete/pebbles on the outside of the empty plastic bottle. you wouldnt need to completley cover the bottle if you had the uncovered side buried in the gravel.

You could even go one step further by removing the bottle to make a cave.

Hope you find that useful.

Oh yeah use quick drying cement.

Essentially, yes!

I am thinking of using these for Mbuna set up, so the design brief for aquascaping media reads

-either containing caves/crevices or able to be stacked to created many different caves/crevices

-readily moveable to change around set up to reduce territoriality when adding fish

-as near in appearance to natural rocks as possible (not a huge fan of the terracotta pot/drain pipe/slate tile Mbuna set ups)

Obviously natural rocks would fulfill most of these requirements, but are extremely heavy to move around, and can damage the tank if accidentally dropped etc.

So I was envisaging making some 'synthetic' rocks (perhaps with built in caves or tunnels etc. out of a material that was just denser than water, and then coating in silicone and rolling in the same sand used as substrate for a natural look.

I'd say try to just use real rock and silicone it together but thought you might want to see this:

DSCF1059.jpg

It's what I made as my tank is very high and I didn't want unstable piles of heavy rocks on my tank! I would say though that I would only bother doing this if you REALLY have to - it took me HOURS!! (made from polystyrene covered in concrete) If you are thinking about doing it feel free to ask me any questions!

• 1 month later...
Pumice has silicates which algae go nuts over. maybe not the greatest in an malawi tank with a lack of plants

That should not be a problem with regular water changes, silicates don't dissolve very well.

Google "making coral rock" this will give you some ideas

Here is one i found http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynami ... Rocks.html

• 1 month later...