Cabomba Cuttings

Blueram

Does anybody know of an good way to cut Cabomba stems from the mother plant?

I know this is not rocket science, but when I try doing it the mother plant in my tank looks really awkward (like somebody has cut the top off it!!!) and does not fit in to the ‘untouched world’ world theme I am trying to create.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :P:P

Blueram

Remove the bottom and re-plant the top?

I find the bottom sections become quite stalky looking with this plant and similar, I tend to only take a tip cutting once or twice before discarding the bottom and only re-planting the top section.

Your other choice is to cut it down really quite short then the new growth starts near the base again.

Paul should know, he's only been growing aquatic plants forever. I do exactly as Paul says and it works really well. If I want more plants I also replant the bottom part of the plant. It then branches 2 or 3 times and creates new stems. Sure the tank looks crappy for 1 week until its grown 300-400mm - enough to harvest and throw the bottom part of the plant away. This way you can triple the number of plants you have in a couple of weeks.

Yes I use Pauls second option there.

Cut any stems that get too long or tatty off right down low. Then new stems start from down there and you don't get that top heavy look.

If you do this regularly you will have new stems at different stages of growth so the plant always looks 'natural'.