Feeding fry egg yolk?

BigDaddy

ok I qwas wondering how are the fry suppose to act when you feed them?Im going to feed them egg yolk for the first week then switch to daphnia when they get big enough to eat it but im not sure how to know if they are eating it when i feed it do they swarm it? or do they allow it to settle a bottom of tank then eat?

The easiest thing to do is over feed, polute the water and kill them. You only use a fraction of a boiled egg yolk in something like a handkerchief and shaken in water until it goes slightly cloudy and a very small amount of that fed many times daily. A good trick is to make up a small amount then freeze it into ice cubes. Drop a cube into some water for a short time then take it out and refreeze it. Realy--realy small amounts often. A couple of snails will help get rid of excess from the bottom of the tank. Daphnia are way way too big for fry even put through a fine seive. the fry are about as small as they get. Green water is best because it is alive and less likely to polute. Egg yolk will very easily cause a bacterial bloom that will use up all the O2.

I agree with amazonian green water is best. For small fry like fighters I used to use a blood transfusion bag and line and let it drip slowly into the tank and use a pilot light at night to keep them feeding 24/7. The advantage is that it is alive and not a dead source of food for bacteria that can go into a bloom and use up all the O2 in the water. First you have to have a good source of green water.

• 1 month later...

What you are creating is water containing infusoria that are alive and the fish will feed on, and since it is alive it will not rot like egg yolk which is a source of food for a bacterial bloom if you over feed. It is green because if you put water and food outside in the sunlight it will also encourage the growth of infusoria containing chlorophyl (which is green) There will also be lots of infusoria without chlorophyl as well. Other people may have better ideas but you can use lettuce leaves or banana skin. I use water from my turtle tank.

another thoguht I had last night while pondering the green water idea, (i now have containers outside with lettuce and water, if i dont get green water at least i will get mosquito larvae) aren't fighters meat eaters? I have noticed that they dont touch any plants in their tanks and will pick out the meaty flakes when i put mixed flake in. Just a thought....

• 1 month later...