Female Swordtail Pregnant HELP!!

BigDaddy

I bought some of that Liquid fry food. It comes in a wee squeezy bottle and will cost you about $5.

Be warned though, I managed to kill ALL of my first batch of babies through overfeeding a too few water changes. :cry:

I now have a tank full of baby mollies, swords and guppies (between 5mm and 1cm) that get fed finely crushed livebearer flake. I only feed mine the liquid stuff for about 5 days and then on to flake.

Good luck. :lol:

Pregancy takes 4-6 weeks. Her belly should not grow double in size overnight. If thats the case I'd be more worried about bloat or constipation. Apparently feeding a small amount of cooked green pea can help the latter, not sure about bloat tho.

Oh and I'd say she's definately pregnant, unless they grow up without a male insight, they're preggers lol! Female swords will drop like clockwork, I'm just not sure if your girl is ready to drop tomorrow as such. When she is ready to drop, she'll look like she is about to almost explode.

Fry are very easy to care for, and they'll eat finely crushed flake from day one (altho I use that livebearer liquifry for the first few days). If you don't do anything at all, chances are over time you'll still have new Swords, they're strong lil' dudes.

Ok im not sure whats going on but I woke up this morning and her belly is back to normal although I did notice that she did her buisness 4 times b4 i went to bed while she was in the net breeder so she may have been constipated I dont know just hard for me to imagine her belly getting that big from constipation.I know this much no fry in the breeder so either she was constipated or ate all the fry.

if I'm not mistaken swordtails also get a gravid spot when they are pregnant.

I bought 6 various swords from the LFS and one appears to be pregnant, I think she has a gravid spot, but its growing at a slow rate so wont be dropping anytime soon.

I was told at the LFS that small flake food would do for them, is that not right?

I'm going to buy a net breeder and a couple sponge filters tonight and start seeding them for my small tank (currently empty) how long could the fry live in a 20l tank before going into the main tank?

also some of the others appear to be constipated, should I just boil up some frozen peas and peel them or should I mush them up for the swords?

Doug

They do form a gravid spot.

The fry will eat crushed flake.

Many livebearers do not like being put in a breeding trap and will often abort of moved into one. They are better off in a small tank with lots of plants.

As to when the fry go into the main tank - when they are big enough not to fit in the mouths of the other fish :wink:

Peas are good for constipation. Cooked and with the shell removed. They will go mushy when put in the water.

all good things to know.

so a breeding net is a general no-no for live bearers?

guess I will pop the fry into the net if the tank isn't ready when she drops, ofcourse thats if they dont get eaten before I see them.

what about using a divider so its just the mother and the fry in one part of the tank? still to stressfull? the lead male is starting to chase her a bit so kinda looking to isolate her closer to delivery.

Doug

yep thats what I did. I bought a bigger net, and followed her around with the smaller one till she swam straight in. so far no abortion, although she dosent seem too happy. I've put her in a breeding trap as she was beeing harrased by the largest male. How long can she be in here? till she delivers or no longer than a couple days?

Doug

Sounds like a plan Caryl, I'm seeding a sponge filter for another tank, I was hoping I had more time for the fry, but I could alternate him and her in there till either she delivers or tank is ready.

should I put some java moss in the trap or will it make the trap too confined?

Doug