Fighter with Pop eye

me love fishy

Hi guys

My poor fighter "Blueboy" has popeye. I hadn't seen him for a couple of days as he can be difficult to find, but usually comes out around food time. So he has been off his food and last night I noticed he has a bulging eye.

My question is, can this be cured or not? I have read alot of different things about it and some say it can and some say it can't. would I be best to just do a water change and not medicate, or would adding melafix or possible furan help.

any thoughts?

PS have decided against using Furan, cos apart from the warning about it being carcinogenic and causing tumours in rats which is freaky in itself, I have a plec in my tank and I don't think its a good idea since I read that you shouldn't use meth blue on scaleless fishies.

I have just gone to lfs for more melafix, I only hope that when I get home blueboy is still okay.

Has anyone successfully treated this condition?

that's what I am hoping Caryl :)

I did notice the day I couldn't see him that there was dried up water that had dribbled down the outside of the tank, so maybe he got a fright and jumped and hit the cover or maybe someone chased him, but either way something happened in that tank to make water dribble down the side. :-?

and everyone else in the tank seems okay and acted like nothing had happened ("you didn't see anything!") :D

furan is fine for plecos, you can double dose with no ill effects (as advised by some cat experts).

i recently used furan on one of my wild apistos as he started to develop it (pop eye) and it cleared it up, it is a safe med- those warnings are scary though. i got a mouthful of furan water which i was worried about but im told it really wont do that much.

i am unsure what to treat it with other than something else that is a broad range anti biotic

Update on Blueboy.

I got home last night and decided on the melafix approach (you're probably right about Furan Sharn but I didn't buy any yesterday and didn't want to wait another day before doing anything)

So I added the recommended dose of melafix to the tank and checked on him this morning.

He seemed a bit better this morning, I think his eye has gone down a bit (although hard to tell) but it definitely isn't any worse and I watched him after feeding them and he was out and about alot more and he ate some food, so hopefully he is on the mend :) anyway it is an improvement.

I felt sorry for him though, because when he approached the food he had to approach from the side of his good eye and then turn and eat it, poor thing :(

still he seems to be improving, so I will keep a good eye on him (no pun intended) over the next few days anyway.

And still nobody in the tank will talk about what happened. They're a very tight group that lot. :lol:

Tell your fish thanks Loopy, it must be working. :D

Blueboy is still surviving and I actually think he can see out of that eye now, because I was right in front of the tank staring at him and he moved his bad eye to look at me. It has definitely gone down a bit, still a wee bit cloudy and a bit bulgy but definitely better. I have continued treating with melafix daily and did a water change yesterday.

Maybe it was just an injury rather than a disease, which is definitely good news, as I don't have to worry about anyone else suffering from it. :D