Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

what lights are u running?

Featured Replies

just wondering what type of lights everyone is running over their tanks. bought or home made. MH or fluorescent T5/T8.

i get excellent growth on all my 2 foots 50 litre tank with aquaone AL-20D [40watt] and run a aquaone AL-30D [60watt] on my 3 foot 200L and still good growth but not great.

like to know what u guys have and the experience or out come and maybe what not to do?

  • Author
Bought, Homemade CF, MH and T8s.

could u give more detail there ira? like what u find to be the best what wattage over how many litres :D

It depends what the shape and type of tank is. But Metal Halides are by far the best if you want to grow plants.

It depends what the shape and type of tank is. But Metal Halides are by far the best if you want to grow plants.

Oh yea, that is one true sentance. I havent got my Metal Halide going yet but i have personally seen many tanks with them and.......... :o

I have mine sitting in my room shouting at me to turn it on!!!

(i need to get rid of the green water first, thats only with a double tuber!!!) :)

I have bought lights and a MH.

I get awesome growth in my little 20L tank with just a 4 year old 11W PL tube, i also get good growth over my 60L community with a couple 15W tubes and i get good growth over my 240L planted tank with only a 76 W double tuber (soon to be 76W AND 150W MH 8) )

Rogan

Oh yea, that is one true sentance. I havent got my Metal Halide going yet but i have personally seen many tanks with them and.......... :o

I triple that. I wished I'd known MH was so good before I spent $350 on 2x double 4ft fluro cases and tubes from the LFS. Did okay but just not the same as MH. T5s were popular for a while as they have more wattage and take up less space but MH still beats them. To answer the q I have fluros and one big MH.

soon to be 76W AND 150W MH 8)

Post some pics a couple weeks after you've done aye bud? ;)

  • Author

cool so MH is the way to go, which is good cuz i got 3 150watt coming 8)

now what kelvin would u guys suggest to get for growing plants [freshwater]

6500k is what I've always heard would look the most natural. Although Antwan's got a PL (right angle U-shape fluro) at 8000k and that apparently looks better?

  • Author

yeah thats what i keep coming across on the net and old post on MH seem to be the lower Kelvins. on an old post by Antwan he has a 4000K and getting good results

thanks guys

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.