Red Badis

Alan

Anyone done these little jewels?

I would appreciate anything you can give me on them.

Apparently the hard name is something like Badis burmanacanensis.

Why do I ask?

I hope to add this to my scalp belt, just got a trio this weekend.

See the killie forum.

TIA

Hi Alan,

The species name for red badis used to be Badis badis burmanicus, the current valid name is Badis ruber. Which saves me some problems as I wasn't sure of how I'm supposed to deal with subspecies (as far as breeding registrations are concerned).

The breeding of them should be similar to the Badis badis that you have done previously (ie similar to dwarf cichlids, I know they're not dwarf cichlids but a member of the perch family but the breeding style is similar).

Supposedly the red badis is more prone to TB than the blue badis. And as per most badis can be a bit on the picky side as far as feeding.

Did Frans have many of them? I'd definitely like to get my paws on some of the offspring.

Hi Rob and Bruce, Rose got me another badis on Sunday, so that's three.

Frans may have 4 left Rob, give him a ring first tho.

Oh by the way.

Make sure your cheque book is loaded.

You or Derek H would, I'm sure, be interested in some pleco types he has there.

But they are VERY expensive

$202 each

Browny colour with diagonal yellow lines.

AND he has a pair there.

Also some other very interesting similar type species.

Must be similar, cause the price is

Yeah the pictures of the Queen Arabesque and Peru Stripe plecos look good and they're of the type that doesn't get too large. Unfortunately the wallets a bit light already and as I'd want to buy either a pair (sexed) or a trio (unsexed)...

Hey Rob!

That's only $404. :-?

For a well paid lecturer like you, that should be no probs.

Chat Frans up, and I'm sure he'd give you a discount at that price.

Then you'd be able to buy some of those Badis. :lol:

By the way, he was guarantteeing (spp) a pair

I'll have to encourage the current fish to breed some more so that I can afford the next lot. Had much better success with the whiptails this time - must be about 40 of the little buggers this time around. Only thing I can put the success down to this time is greater diligence on my part (hatching out brine shrimp every second day etc). The wallets still recovering from buying the new computer, next on the list is pay off the car.

Now that I've seen and got more information about these scarlet badis I realise that I've put people wrong about naming.

For regular red badis my previous naming would be correct. However the little badis available at the moment don't appear to be the regular ones. The wholesaler lists them as Badis bengalenis/Dario dario. Of these two names Dario dario is valid. This type of badis stay significantly smaller than the other two types of badis we have seen in NZ - with females being sexually mature from 10 mm (yes millimeters) with a max size of about 15mm and males getting up to about 20-25 mm. I assume the breeding regime is still similar to other types of badis but providing suitably sized food may be an issue.

• 3 years later...

???????????????

Wow, this is an old thread. :o

Last Saturday, when several of us were treated to a visit by Peter Cottle at the Western Bay Club, the same fish was shown in his presentation of him catching the same fish, in the wild.

When I saw his pics it brought back memories, although I wasn't able to breed the little jewels. :cry:

Alan 104

• 4 years later...

I keep them. 8) Their correct species name is now Dario dario

Very hard to come by females (the females are almost white) but they breed readily. They also eat only live food in my experience. They will survive for a long time in a tank with no added live food as they graze on zooplankton but give them half a chance and they will eat a worm twice their size! They colour up best when there are at least two males, or a female but the males need quite a bit of floorspace in terms of territory. Great fish and really fun to watch when they display to each other.