Dropsy contagious yes/no

Caper

Some say it is....some say it is not. What are your opinions on this?

Considering I've already lost one fish and maybe ready to loose another to what appears to be dropsy, I'd really like to know what you folks think?

From what I've read so far, it seems that the real problem with other fish getting it is if a fish with it actually dies in the tank & fluid leaks out or other fish eat the carcass.

If a fish has it, are there special procedures that need to be done to the tank????

Sorry if not making sense here, having a bad week & sick fishies aren't helping :(:(

you make total sense caper!

i have no idea if it is contagious or not, but have always read it can be if, like you say, the fish is left into the tank and fluid leaks/the other fish pick at the body.

i would however isolate it, not only for the fact your removing any possiblity of the other fish picking at it/fluid leaking if it dies, but also the stress of other fish around it. alot of fish will pick on the weak ones when they are ailing. also if you are to try medicate its best to just medicate one fish instead of the whole tank, meds can be quite stressful. i am unsure if the tank needs anything done to it or not though sorry

As far as i know its not contagious unless the fish dies in the tank, so i would remove the suspected fish immediately and probably put it out of its misery as theres no known cure, we used to get it occasionally in the tanks that had bad water quality but since then we have improved our water quality and havent had it since.

JoeandWilly wrote:

we used to get it occasionally in the tanks that had bad water quality

But according to my test kits, my parameters are ok. Tomorrow I'll be using new kits. I don't have nitrate kit, can't get locally.

I don't understand what's happening. My water is clear.

I am really getting frustrated as I don't know what I could be doing wrong :( :evil:

I would like to get a new filter eventually but not much to pick from here & I don't know when I can go to Halifax again to a "big" pet store. Might be getting laid off work so have to watch my money as well!!!!!!!

Goldfish can get dropsy because they don't feed when it is cold so diet and temperature are important.

yep. also during winter times they dont tend to move as much which means they dont digestas well and pass air as well as they would in summer wich can lead to swim bladder problems and so on.