Huge lose of Tropical Fish

bart687

Hi all,

I am asking all for some help here, as I have lost four discus, and two angles all at the same time. my tank looks very bare now as the only fish in the tank are the clown loaches, neons,and two plocstomis or how you spell it, I just call the catfish.

So those of yous out there that have knowledge about angels and other fish including discus, fell free to help as I may have to either startover again or just sell my tank.

Craig.

and whilst your getting onto that do a water change, 30-50% is good, anything will help just incase toxins (like sprays) have gotten into the water etc. if you have aged water thats even better to do the changes with

all in the same day is quite strange, angels are quite hardy fish and i would expect them to perish after the clowns or plecos if something was amiss with the water. they fish werent displaying any sign of discomfort? was the behaviour all fine prior to this?

if we could get the following details it would be neat-

ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates plus the details suphew mentioned

and sorry for your loss, its always nasty to lose one fish let alone a bunch, i hope we can help you work out what happened

Yeah, I'd say that there was a major stocking problem. Those discus are far too large for that small tank, particularly with large angel fish. I imagine that no one told you that at the store, though.

If you don't want to buy a test kit, you can take a water sample in to most fish stores and they'll run tests. Some places charge a dollar, but its worth it. When you do that, post your results and someone will discuss them with you. :)

For now, I definitely second doing a large water change, and hold off on buying new fish. :)

I second that. Discus are best with a minimum of 50L each and prefer at least 100L each. Many people keep them in less but they're never at their best. If all 4 discus were in the top tank, looks like they had only about 20L each at best. They're also good sized fish producing a lot of waste...

I normally only stock 12-15 in my 1200L tank that's got a massive DIY filter (using 14L of Siporax and 15L of Effisubstrat) turning 6000L/hour + it's very heavily planted with MH & CO2...

On top of that I do at least 50% water changes every week. I consider this the minimum for happy discus. They always look a lot better after a water change. I'd do water changes more often but it already costs enough to heat 600L a week up to tank temperature.

Discus will survive with less but if you want them totally happy and breeding all the time, big tanks and lots of waterchanges is the answer.

What filter is on the top tank - can't see one?

I second that. Discus are best with a minimum of 50L each and prefer at least 100L each. Many people keep them in less but they're never at their best. If all 4 discus were in the top tank, looks like they had only about 20L each at best. They're also good sized fish producing a lot of waste...

I normally only stock 12-15 in my 1200L tank that's got a massive DIY filter (using 14L of Siporax and 15L of Effisubstrat) turning 6000L/hour + it's very heavily planted with MH & CO2...

On top of that I do at least 50% water changes every week. I consider this the minimum for happy discus. They always look a lot better after a water change. I'd do water changes more often but it already costs enough to heat 600L a week up to tank temperature.

Discus will survive with less but if you want them totally happy and breeding all the time, big tanks and lots of waterchanges is the answer.

What filter is on the top tank - can't see one?

Wareen I was looking at getting a larger tank but it was going to cost $2.999 just on three thousand and thats just one that the glass people make, imagine if you put both tanks together that would of been the lenght.

bart687 is live in nelson 2. ive just made my own glass tank and costed me $300 for the glass(from a glass company). if you go to petznall they will do water tests for you and will only cost $2 i think.

i would agree with everyone else those tanks are quite small for you fish. i have also had a 230l glass tank made by palace aquatics too for $200. hope this helps.

I do water changes every saturday with both tanks and thats cleaning pumps and stones Etc

I don't have discus but from what I've read here I understand they require lots of water changes.

However, those with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't it be wrong to be cleaning "everything" in the tank on a weekly basis? Wouldn't cleaning "everything" destroy the good bacteria as well????

it was going to cost $2.999 just on three thousand and thats just one that the glass people make, imagine if you put both tanks together that would of been the lenght.

Think of it not as a cost rather an investment 8) Most tanks when correctly built with the right glass cost around $1 per litre so it depends on what you want in addition. I am happy with concrete blocks and 8" * 2" planks for my stands and have had no problems with them. Hoods and stands are not cheap and the fish really don't care too much about them at all. They must have the water conditions required tho and you either give them that in your "investment" or you regularly buy new fish to kill.