True cost of this hobby - to have a top quality 5ft plus tan

RnB

I watch with interest the sale of PC100's tank. Its an impressive setup with good quality kit, I have not done the numbers but its probably pretty good indication of the true cost of buying good kit livestock etc, and the results show.

I wonder how many NZers have the dosh to go out and buy it all at once like this? We all buy, trade, import kit etc to upgrade.

In the UK its possible to buy this type of setup at knockdown prices as people left hobby, with the only potential buyers others who already have big tanks etc.......

But it sounds more justifiable to be spending around $150 per week over a couple of years to set up a tank, than splash out $15,000 in one go...

And imagine the logistics of shifting it all in one go, as well.

not hard to shift , I would just setup large tank for fish and corals as temp home, move them in, then move the main tank and fill etc, move livestock back over a few days.......

I bet most spending a bit each week do not normally end up with the kitlist PC100 has, its all top quality kit.....

we can all look at marine depot and find out how much to import it all, then we expect it all at a 50% discount because its 2nd hand.......

Is it reasonble to expect a 50% discount for second hand kit? is that all people will pay?

Seems to depend alot on the item, streams for example seem to go for a little more than 50% of the new price

i think you'll find 2nd hand streams go for about 70-80% of the price brand new because they're an exceptionally good product. much like deltec, holds it's price pretty well too because people know it will function "almost as good as it did when it was new"

i think you'll find 2nd hand streams go for about 70-80% of the price brand new because they're an exceptionally good product. much like deltec, holds it's price pretty well too because people know it will function "almost as good as it did when it was new"

also you don't tend to find second hand ones either, eheim pumps etc you do

• 2 weeks later...

i beleve he is looking into selling this peice by peice, contact him if you are interested in any peices (see the link to trademe there is a list of most things he has there), there are some very larges ones. some good equipment too, streams, auto top off, ca reactor, chiller etc

i already have my order in. :wink:

not sure, he is selling up this set up, everything!

i asked him if he was going to do a smaller tank but im not sure he has the time, this is why he is selling the current one.

some great peices, shame im fast running out of room.

• 3 months later...

While that's undoubtably what the tank was worth when you work it all out, at the end of the day its only worth what someone will pay for it, and I think that was way too much and was never going to happen.

People dont like doing it but splitting up whole systems is the best way to go.

There is a huge desire when you put down 10k for a system to get exactly what you want regarding pump manufacture, skimmer type etc etc.

And at that price you also often want a tank built into a certain space etc etc.

It will find a buyer at the right price or PC will keep it.....

I thought this tank had been broken up and sold as components.....

obviously not...

I and a few people put offers in for a lot of the livestock at the price that was asked but the sale did not happen. I think it was more of a value gathering exersise. I think it is a matter of how much one is willing to let the stuff go for and to decide if that’s what you really want to do. I think a lot of interested people will not be so interested now.

But it sounds more justifiable to be spending around $150 per week over a couple of years to set up a tank, than splash out $15,000 in one go...

quote]

Also for some people the fun, trials and tribulations of slowly setting up the tank is the fun part I think....I get excited each time I add something new to any of my tanks, and buying a tank that's already setup would change that a bit ...

(Although to be realistic I think I would still be pretty excited if Santa showed up on Christmas day with a tank as nice as that for me lol)