Thanks Reef!

wasp

Credit where it's due, Reef came over yesterday and gave me a noise deadening kit for my HOB Deltec skimmer.

As I haven't actually cleaned this skimmer in the couple of years that i've had it, I thought i better do the right thing & strip it down, clean the pump, and put the noise kit on. Did all this thismorning, to my surprise there was no calcification in the aquabee pump at all, no wear, other than a bit of slime it looks brand new.

Have put it back together & turned it on, ABSOLUTE SILENCE! All that can be heard is a gentle fizzing noise of the bubbles popping. Very Pleased! :D

While Reef was here we got onto the subject of anemone propogation, so just for a laugh, we sliced my anemone in half. Didn't bother it, stayed expanded and today looking fine. In a week or so there will be two healthy anemones, I'll post some pics then.

Reef doesn't know it but this was actually a practise run for his Rose Bubbletip :D . I'm coming with my knife Dude! :lol:

Well that's what I was surprised about, I'm holding calcium around 440 -450. Alkalinity is low though 7.0 to 7.5, or so. I think alkalinity is a bigger culprit for clogging up pumps, than calcium is.

Nonetheless, an impressive display of good pump design. It is all about keeping the impellor shaft cool. The hotter it gets, the more calcification.

In fact, it's a little off topic, but what I have done with a few of my other pumps, is drill a small hole through the back, into the impellor chamber. This allows a dribble of water to get sucked through & provide cooling to the impellor, and when I've done this there has been a marked decrease in calcification of the pumps. It can mean a yearly clean rather than a three monthly clean.

Still, the aquabee, ( which I have not modified ), running two years 24/7, and no calcification at all, and no wear on the shaft, does vouch for quality design.

Here is an update pic on the one got cut a few days ago. Unfortunately the two bits have stayed right next to each other & I could not get a pic showing the 2 different ones but it is cut from top to bottom, still looking OK.

Got some new eggs there too! :D

split.jpg