Is this daphnia?

Ktttk

I had a look in a bucket thats been left outside for a while now and noticed some little orange dots swimming around. Upon closer inspection, they appear to be little orange mites. They can swim fairly quickly through the water and also run along the sides and bottom of the bucket. They are oval in shape and appear to have feelers at the front of their heads.

I put a few into a glass tube and tried to take a picture - but its not very clear. The biggest is about 1-2mm in length and the smallest is just a dot. I am not sure if they are daphnia because after some online searching, I have learnt that they are also called water fleas and should 'hop' through the water. The ones that I have appear to 'run' through the water!

The pic is not great - but shows the size difference. The dots are the little ones.

DSC02685.jpg

Hey there,

you will know it's daphnia by the way that it swims, they will swim in jerky movements ( or little bursts maybe more precise)

the daphnia will usually be clear depending on what they have been eating, if they have had strwbrry's they go a reddish pink, and if they are feeding on green water they go a light green in colour

hope this helps

B

hmm.. looking at them, they don't have any legs.. only feelers at the front - and they seem to use this to propel themselves along. I say that they look like they are 'running' because they move fairly quickly and in a coherent manner. The smaller ones tend to move in a jerky manner especially when they are swimming up and down the water column. How big do they get? I guess I could try and culture them and see what happens.. I'm a bit reluctant to feed them to the fish until i know what they are.. :-?

I found some of these in a big puddle that had formed at a local school, thought I'd found daphnia, unfortunately not. I am not sure either what they are but the fish like chasing and eating them. They will crawl out of the fish's mouth and this makes for quite a funny game.